Weight gain for teenager

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

food4thought

Weight gain for teenager

Post by food4thought »

Hi folks,
My son who is 16 wants to but on some weight as he plays rugby. Please could someone recommend any weight gaining supplements for at teenager?

Thanks
F4T.
kenyancowgirl

Re: Weight gain for teenager

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I would recommend that you go and speak to your GP. Weight gain supplements for under 18s should not be given without GP advice - mainly they would talk about improving diet (eg more protein etc) than taking supplements at this age.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I wouldn't recommend supplements for a 16 yo without seeing a dr first.

A healthy diet with plenty of fruit, veg and protein is a good start. Is there a gym he can use at school as from 15 (please check that) they can start to use weights with supervision. Perhaps having a couple of sessions with a personal trainer to work out a programme would be a good place to start.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

This is not a GP role and they will have no ability to advise you. No GPs I know have any interest in supplements for weight gain. I would suggest - if a doctor's advice is needed - that this would definitely be a private doctor as it's certainly not part of any NHS contract.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

That’s exactly my point loobylou! No GP should be recommending supplements for a child - but they would hopefully drum in about sensible eating/exercise and natural growth...
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

kenyancowgirl wrote:That’s exactly my point loobylou! No GP should be recommending supplements for a child - but they would hopefully drum in about sensible eating/exercise and natural growth...
I suppose. I can see what you were saying.
Muscle-building exercise and healthy eating is kind of the obvious answer though - not convinced it takes a doctor to advise that?
Seriously though OP, I see a number of relatively "healthy" looking 20-something year olds who attend the gym regularly who have really messed up their kidney function by taking protein supplements (apparently quite normal ones). It doesn't seem like a great idea.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Apologies I badly worded my response! I wasn't advocating seeing a gp about supplements but, like KCG suggested, about advice for a healthy approach to eating and exercise.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
food4thought

Post by food4thought »

loobylou wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:That’s exactly my point loobylou! No GP should be recommending supplements for a child - but they would hopefully drum in about sensible eating/exercise and natural growth...
I suppose. I can see what you were saying.
Muscle-building exercise and healthy eating is kind of the obvious answer though - not convinced it takes a doctor to advise that?
Seriously though OP, I see a number of relatively "healthy" looking 20-something year olds who attend the gym regularly who have really messed up their kidney function by taking protein supplements (apparently quite normal ones). It doesn't seem like a great idea.
Thank you for your replies. It is appreciated. Please could you elaborate about the 20+ year olds who have kidney issues? My boy was mentioning he has heard about a boy who lives in our street was taking growth hormones to get bigger. So I thought the powered weight gain stuff would be good enough... but if you advise not, then I'll not get it for him. Tastes horrid anyway.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

This is probably the most appropriate website
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-bo ... nts-facts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It says that there is no evidence of harm in healthy people. My argument would be that it's very difficult to be certain one doesn't have an underlying problem that would only become evident after taking supplements.
My only reason for my comment is that I've seen a few men in their 20s with poor renal function and, when I try and work out why, the only thing that seems to explain it is their supplements.
(The above website advises referral to a dietician if people are concerned. Just be aware that this is area-dependent. In my area I could not refer to a dietician for this).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now