Bedtimes

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Chardan

Post by Chardan »

LBSWM wrote:
not being able to play with Dad as he's too busy at work, not being able to play with Mum as she's too busy on computer
As you said - the balancing act is never easy. I found this quote a while ago and read it often. I'm not entirely sure that this is the right place to post it, but reading earlier comments (And being away from home for a couple of days) brought it back to mind:

At the end of each day, can you answer "YES" to these questions?

1. Today my child told me something I didn't know.
2. Today I looked into my child's eyes as I listened.
3. Today I asked my child a question and then listened to the entire answer without interrupting.
4. Today I put down whatever was in my hands to show my child my full attention.
5. Today I was available to my child when he/she wanted to talk to me.
6. Today, as I listened to my child, I held back at least one unproductive comment.
7. Today I asked my child at least one helpful question.
8. Today I laughed at something my child said.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Oh dear, those questions have brough a lump to my throat and made me feel really guilty now!
I promise to try harder later Chardan...
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Me too
chewy

Post by chewy »

How uncanny this forum is DS just back from a week away with school first time away from home and going on about how late everyone stays up and how unfair we are for sending him to bed at 9.00pm (which is late enough for him) and everyone in his class stays up untill 10.00pm so I will show him this thread tomorrow and let him know he is not the only one going to bed at 9.00 and some are going to bed earlier than him.

9.00 is late for him as he is crabby in the morning and come sept will have to get the 7.15 bus he doesnt get out of bed untill 7.00 at moment I can see a serious discussion on bedtime approaching. DS no2 who is 5 goes to bed at 6.45 and is asleep by 7.00 he would go to bed earlier if he could but waits for DH to read his story.
vetgal

Post by vetgal »

Hi my name is Emma
OMG I Go to bed at 11pm on a school night. But the problem is i Can't sleep no matter what I try so I go to bed at as i said 11pm get to sleep at 11.30pm-12.45pm and wake up 7.45am.LOL :shock:
HELP I AM 10 Years Old
What are some good suggested bedtimes because i am nearlly 11 years old. 8)
Emma
andyb

Post by andyb »

My just turned 10 year old goes up to bed at between 7 and 7.30pm and is then reads or listens to a CD for half an hour or so. He will get up at around 7am whatever time he goes to bed (I was the same apparently) so we have opted for an earlier bedtime (as did my parents). He is absolutely unbearable if he gets less than 10 hours sleep a night - when he goes to camp he is the one who tells the others to be quiet because he needs his sleep!! None of us are night owls - I am usually in bed by 10pm.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Oh dear...I think 10pm is the perfect time for 12/13 year olds to go to bed and actually believe that around 9-9:30pm is pretty strict. However, I have heard that teenagers need up to 14 hours which is why my mum used to let me sleep in until 2pm on the weekends! :shock:
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

Trouble is, even within a TV or Playstation free bedroom, there's a world of difference between going to bed and going to sleep when your 'baby' is a teenager.
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

My ds is just 13 and we send him to bed between 9 and 9.15 on a school night. We do allow him one 10pm stay up a week when he and I usually sit together to watch soemthing suitable(Hotel Babylon was his last choice) or to watch the occasional night football match aslong as all of his homework is in order. My just 10 year old dd goes up every night between 8 and 8.15, sometimes earlier. At weekends we do allow them to stay up later depending on what we are doing. If we are at home it will be earlier then if we are out at friends.

I try to explain to my two that they cannot always stay up for 3 reasons
1. They need plenty of sleep as they have school
2. TV isn't always suitable after certain times
and
3. Just like they like to be on thier own with friends Mum and dad also need time on thier own.

They have always gone to bed to sleep(no tv, games etc) but as my son is now older sometimes he will go up earlier and read. I'm afraid TV will never be an option. He does have one in his room but was never used to negotiate bed time.

One thing I find is it is hard to make the bedtimes rigid as with after school activities, homework and just the way days pan out sometimes, it is not always easy.

Mel
bigrob

Post by bigrob »

I have my two Dses on Tuesday and Thursday nights plus every second weekend (Fri afternoon until Monday am).

My older DS is in yr 10 at Grammar school & tends to go to bed between 9 and 9:30pm. He goes when he's tired. I have a bath ready for him at 6:45am.

When at my house the younger DS goes between 9:30 and 10pm. They both end up with about 9 hours sleep as the older DS needs to be up earlier. The younger DS does Karate until 8:30 on my nights so we don't get home until 8:45. I then let him have his own relax time before bed.

I do believe that most children need at least 9 hours sleep so for me it depends on what time they need to be up.

As I'm alone with them I don't have to consider a wife/partner. However those who are a two parent household do need some (our time) together so perfectly understand getting them to bed early so you can spend time together before the two of your are too tired to communicate.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now