Exit Polls

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiffinboys

Re: Exit Polls

Post by tiffinboys »

doodles wrote:Graciousness in victory is more becoming than smugness.
A sense of humour, even in defeat, is often a useful attribute.
doodles

Post by doodles »

tiffinboys wrote:£Sterling rising; now about 3 cents higher vs. US$ within minutes of exit poll.
Well that didn't last long :lol:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

"Not haemorrhaging quite as badly this week as it's been doing since 2015"?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

How UK voted?

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... l-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1. Conservatives got more votes across all socio-economic groups, than Labour.
2. Older (and wiser ?) tends to vote more for Conservatives than any other party. However 50+ is not too old. :wink: seems people become more practical than idealist as they cross 40.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Interesting statistics.

Strange though tiffinboys, given that this is primarily an education forum, that you neglected to mention the strong correlation between educational level and voting preference.

Just in case you missed that paragraph:
Education is still a key dividing line

The highest level of education someone has achieved remains an important dividing line in how people vote. Labour did much better than the Conservatives amongst those who have a degree or higher, by 43% to 29%.

The Liberal Democrats also performed very well amongst this group with 17% of the vote share. We saw in 2016 that those with a higher education level were overwhelmingly more likely to back remaining in the EU, and this has seemingly transferred into party voting.

The Conservatives won amongst the much larger group of voters who do not hold a degree, however. They outperformed Labour by more than two to one (58% to 25%) amongst those whose highest level of education is GCSE or lower.
I trust that you'll be discouraging any of your children from going to university or pursuing any form of education beyond GCSEs. You wouldn't want to risk them turning out as raging lefties would you? :wink:
bridge

Post by bridge »

I find it really sad when immigrants support the Conservatives.

That the electorate was hoodwinked into voting against their best interests is a matter of profound sadness and an indictment on the democratic system in this country – but not a surprise.

Labour not only had the entire media against them at some stages they had to battle the security services too – which is a disgrace.

We are all on this forum because we are not part of the fraction of 1% that the conservatives serve. Even if you think you have done slightly well, will your children be ok?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

About comments re education level, it seems older population didn’t go much beyond old O levels. Perhaps, education analysis for each age group will give different feel.

Secondly, what is in one best interest is matter of opinion. It also seems Labour gets vote on hyping up sentiments against Conservatives, not on policies. They would do much better if they stop using words like cruel, heartless, nasty for others. Not easy to hoodwink voters against what they think is better choice for them.

Voters in our area thought Remain was better choice and they returned 3 LibDems with increased majorities. Were they hoodwinked by Joanne Swinson?

Next elections would be interesting as Leave or Remain would not be the dividing line. And also hope that parties run election on their manifestos, not by raising hatred for others.
DSDSDD

Post by DSDSDD »

tiffinboys wrote:It also seems Labour gets vote on hyping up sentiments against Conservatives, not on policies.

And also hope that parties run election on their manifestos, not by raising hatred for others.
I'm not a Christian, but refer you to Matthew 7:5
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Oh dear, who cares what you are; now this thread would also disappear if specific reply is made. People have elected Conservatives with a large majority, now keep peace and vote as you like at the next elections. Never know you too might vote for Conservatives next if they perform well above people’s expectations; keep voters of Blyth, Sedgefield, Redcar etc in mind. No party should take voters for granted.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I'm clearly growing less wise as I get older then. I last voted Conservative in 1987 and I think it's unlikely I will ever do so again.

Since I first voted (for Mrs T) in 1979 I've seen 9 Conservative leaders stand up when first elected and sincerely promise to govern for the benefit of the whole nation, not just the wealthy minority ("for the many, not the few"?). I'm still waiting for it to happen. As the Americans put it: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me".

It also helps that back in 1979 I was a committed atheist and now I'm a half-hearted Christian; voting Conservative is pretty obviously incompatible with Jesus's teaching and can only be reconciled by taking a very firm decision not to hear anything Jesus actually said and not to allow your faith to extend any further into your life than that hour and a half on a Sunday morning. I remain of the opinion that the fact that a million-plus people in one of the wealthiest nations on the planet are dependent on food banks, while at the same time the Labour party are castigated for suggesting that maybe billionaires wouldn't exist in a healthy society, fully justifies the use of words like "cruel", "heartless" and "nasty". Personally, I'd go so far as to add words like "malevolent", "evil" and "criminal".
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now