Getting DMs resoled

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
PerpetualStudent

Getting DMs resoled

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Has anybody tried this?

After years of shoe and foot problems we finally got DD into DMs which have been great albeit expensive. Alas, I can see DD has worn the outer heels enough that the shoes will soon cause more problems than they solve. I’ve asked at two shoe repair chains who have told me it will cost £65-75 and take two weeks in the factory to get them fixed!

Has anybody else found a better and less expensive way of giving new life to a pair of DMs?

Thanks
PS
scary mum

Re: Getting DMs resoled

Post by scary mum »

I can't answer your question I'm afraid, but I did read that the quality had gone down enormously since production was moved to China.

The company that used to make then still makes a remarkably similar boot, but of course without the "label". Apparently they are much better quality but in spite of that DS wanted DMs! :roll:
scary mum
doodles

Post by doodles »

PerpetualStudent wrote:Has anybody tried this?

After years of shoe and foot problems we finally got DD into DMs which have been great albeit expensive. Alas, I can see DD has worn the outer heels enough that the shoes will soon cause more problems than they solve. I’ve asked at two shoe repair chains who have told me it will cost £65-75 and take two weeks in the factory to get them fixed!

Has anybody else found a better and less expensive way of giving new life to a pair of DMs?

Thanks
PS
Sounds expensive PS but I assume that they will come back "as new" in which case it may not be too bad - I have just paid £25 for my son's shoes to be soled and heeled in an ordinary (not chain) cobblers and I would think that DMs would need taking apart and restitching which is a lot more work. Can't imagine what your DD will do without her favourite shoes for two weeks though, that would be hard, I know DS hates getting new school shoes because they just don't feel right!

Have you got an independent cobbler near you, they are often more helpful than the national chains, ours is great and completely honest about what he can and can't do.

Good luck
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Thanks Scary Mum and doodles,

I’ll try and hunt out an independent cobbler. I don’t have one nearby but should be able to find one with a bit of research. I didn’t know about the factory change for DMs. I’ll see if I can find the unlabelled boots you mention.

Cheers
PS
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

I'm a bit late to the party here, but we can definitely recommend this company:

https://lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/w ... and-resole" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DH had the sole of his walking boots fall off on a hill (he was not pleased!) and they fixed them beautifully. As you say, this isn't a cheap service either but the repair is much more sturdy than the original!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Funnily enough, the driver who delivered the DM's to which DS2 treated himself to with savings and Christmas money said to him, 'You could just have got your old ones resoled' :lol:. I'm afraid that DS2 failed to ask if there was a particular service that he would recommend, though.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now