7 week school summer holidays 2020

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mad?

Re: 7 week school summer holidays 2020

Post by mad? »

Surferfish wrote:I've never quite understood why private schools have longer holidays / shorter terms than state schools? How do they fit in the same amount of syllabus etc that presumably they would need to do?
Do they have longer school days or is it because they have smaller class sizes they can teach more efficiently?
(I have to be honest it also grates with me slightly that the wealthiest families who can afford to send their children to private schools get the benefits of cheaper holidays during standard state term times but that's life I suppose! :evil: )
Definitely longer days here, they pack more in. I totally understand why it grates. We rarely managed to capitalise on the cheap holidays because of sports training camps and training (grrr). Saturdays are not always expected (depending on the school) but attendance at matches/plays blah blah blah is so term time weekends can easily be taken up with school either way. Check the website and go for the cheaper holiday! Enjoy!
mad?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The ones in my area still don't manage to cover the KS2 syllabus especially in Maths and especially 13 plus preps. DG
Stokers

Post by Stokers »

Surferfish wrote:Just checking DS's (state) school calendar and it appears that they have a 7 week summer holiday this year.

Breaking up on Friday 17th July and not going back until Monday 7th September.

Is this the norm for all schools this year to have 7 rather than the usual 6 weeks? (I notice that they've chucked a few inset days into the end of summer and start of autumn terms so maybe that's the reason?)
I think it is the scheduling of INSET days that makes it conveniently stretch (if you like a lot of holidays) to 7 weeks. In my school (the one I teach in), the Monday and Tuesday after breaking up are ghost INSET (ie., we've earned them already through after hours training sessions) and we are on INSET the Wed, Thur and Fri before Yr 7 & 11 come in on the Monday. So, the first week back will be pretty stretching after 6 weeks 'rest'!
Stokers

Post by Stokers »

Surferfish wrote:Just checking DS's (state) school calendar and it appears that they have a 7 week summer holiday this year.

Breaking up on Friday 17th July and not going back until Monday 7th September.

Is this the norm for all schools this year to have 7 rather than the usual 6 weeks? (I notice that they've chucked a few inset days into the end of summer and start of autumn terms so maybe that's the reason?)
I think it is the scheduling of INSET days that makes it conveniently stretch (if you like a lot of holidays) to 7 weeks. In my school (the one I teach in), the Monday and Tuesday after breaking up are ghost INSET (ie., we've earned them already through after hours training sessions) and we are on INSET the Wed, Thur and Fri before Yr 7 & 11 come in on the Monday. So, the first week back will be pretty stretching after 6 weeks 'rest'!