Coronavirus

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
solimum

Re: Coronavirus

Post by solimum »

I think a lot of parents / families decided understandably to apply for the key worker childcare scheme in a rush last Friday but have now decided they prefer to work it out between them if at all possible. I saw a poignant post from a couple, both medics, who have sent their young children to stay with relatives for the duration, and will not be able to see them at all except via the miracle of the internet for maybe 3 months. The school I work at had up to 40 pupils booked on the list on Friday afternoon : I gather only 10 turned up today. Good. The more people in the building, the more staff on the rota, the more children whose parents are working in ICUs and are at the highest risk of picking up the virus, the more the spread continues back to the children of those teachers, and the vulnerable partners of those teaching assistants, and continues to infect the people who will be queuing for the ICU in 2 or 3 weeks time. When they will start to not be able to ventilate " those over 60" .

This should not feel normal (as Nicola Sturgeon put it earlier). Obviously those with younger children have to downplay the panic and fear as much as possible to make the new normal seem positive for the children - they will (almost certainly) be OK. But that doesn't mean we grownups can ignore the inexorable logic of the exponential infection rate which threatens to overwhelm our society and cut a swathe through every family and friendship group in the land. God help us all

Local school website has this
Please note. There has been much confusion about this. It is NOT compulsory for key workers' children to attend school. It is not an option for children to dip in and out of. It is an emergency childcare provision, and if students can be left at home safely because there is adequate care, or because they are old and responsible enough, this is what MUST happen. Therefore, schools are 'open' but literally want to support the minimum number of students so that we have to deploy the minimum number of staff and expose the minimum number of people to risk.
Last edited by solimum on Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mad?

Post by mad? »

ouflak wrote:The DW and I have made our decision after some discussion, we just don't want to send them into the day care thing. My company (which has to their credit been very understanding so far) will just have to accept the possibility of being baby sitters as well as a drop in my ability to contribute.
I think the time has come to stop and reflect on how lucky those who have jobs and sympathetic employers are. That 'day care thing' is to try and keep the country afloat and save lives, and I hope it works for all our sakes and want to thank all those who are providing it and whose circumstances mean that they have no alternative. We should be grateful to all of them. We need to stop thinking about ourselves. It will take huge adjustments but schooling really is not the big issue here.
mad?
solimum

Post by solimum »

I think the time has come to stop and reflect on how lucky those who have jobs and sympathetic employers are.
yes - this is a test of fundamental values which none of us wanted to be put through, but certainly brings out the best and worst in people ....
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I have to applaud the schools locally - with little or no notice they have sat and worked out quite complicated plans and delivered on them, and set work to keep those students at home busy - online school is not satisfactory for anyone but, for those in the latter secondary schools it is devastating - put simply, most primary school children adore being round their parents and doing stuff with them - secondary school children don't, they want to be with their friends and, in 6th form, their staff, who have a very human relationship with them. For Y10s and Y12s, I fear their grades will be impacted hugely next year as they will, whatever happens online, be missing out on at least 50% of their education for the Easter/Summer terms. But the schools are doing their best - the ball was dropped in their lap with some guidelines and they had to work it out.

A huge number of parents will find out this week that it was not school that was the problem.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ithin-days" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

will make huge difference - hope you are getting on OK at work!
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

We are seeing a large decrease in our usual clinical specimen workload due to the current measures, while coronavirus testing is sharply increasing. Everyone is just getting on with it really. Heads down and keep going.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

BoJo has it :shock: :shock:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

But why was he tested? Why can't he just self-isolate for two weeks without being tested like any (say) NHS critical care nurse who has a temperature and cough?
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Surely the person in charge of the country has the right to be tested? In fact I think it is a good thing to know as it might make it more real for all those people flouting the rules.