Coronavirus

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Surferfish

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Surferfish »

Whatever you might think of Boris personally or politically, you can't deny that he has a particularly important job to do at the moment which will be made more difficult if he needs to self isolate. So makes sense to test him IMO to make sure whether its necessary he isolates or not. Particularly when we've already tested actors, football managers and members of the royal family.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I do think it's probably appropriate to test him, but when front line workers can't get tests it is a bit rich (I think we should be testing, testing, testing, but I understand there are limited resources). I do hope he really did see his mother on Skype on Sunday, rather than in person.
scary mum
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

It was not good that he did the photo opportunity clap outside Downing Street if he knew he had symptoms, surely.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The report I read was that his temperature appeared overnight so I suspect he didn’t know yesterday. I hope that he, Matt Hancock and Chris Wittey - and many others who will now no doubt develop symptoms recover swiftly.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I certainly don't deny he has an important job to do, but since he's apparently able to carry on working anyway it would have set a better example if he'd said "I have symptoms; I'm self isolating but will be able to carry on working in isolation" instead of having a test that is just not an option for the people most exposed to risk, both to themselves and to those they're treating. IMHO it sets an extremely bad example: i.e. the rules don't apply to some people.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Unfortunately, there would then be thousands of people telling him to man up and it's probably just a cold or flu....so he couldn't win either way. Whatever he does is going to anger half the people - at least this way he categorically knows he has to keep away, ditto the others that have also been diagnosed.

I don't think anyone disagrees that it would be sensible for frontline staff to be tested - until more tests arrive in the country this isn't going to happen en masse.
doodles

Post by doodles »

So, we have at least another three weeks of these restrictions, but that takes us to 7th May, the day before the Bank Holiday Friday. I really can't see us being let out of lockdown for a bank holiday weekend especially if we still need to maintain some level of social distancing. Perhaps they will carry over any decision to the following week making it nearly four weeks, just as they have done this time (the original three weeks was up on Tuesday but they have delayed the decision for a further three days).

Hey ho :lol: :lol:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Suspect this is going to go for the full 12 weeks - those who have been sent letters advising them to stay in have been told 12 weeks, though that date keeps changing and adding in a few more days..

Other problem is that only about 1.5% of the population have actually had the virus - not going to clear up very quickly at that rate
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

hermanmunster wrote:Suspect this is going to go for the full 12 weeks - those who have been sent letters advising them to stay in have been told 12 weeks, though that date keeps changing and adding in a few more days..

Other problem is that only about 1.5% of the population have actually had the virus - not going to clear up very quickly at that rate
I agree, I've always thought it would be the 12 weeks that the "shielded" were told. It's a long old haul to get to herd immunity without a vaccination. Fingers crossed for an anti viral treatment that works otherwise it's going to be a long haul.
scary mum
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Mrs 1880's 12 week letter eventually arrived late last week...

When this lot started I thought it might be September before I was back in the office, but unless there's reliable contact tracing (nothing I'm hearing about this app makes me think it can do the job) or a vaccine I can't very well go back and risk bringing it home. (Mind you, anyone looking at Singapore's graph this week might conclude that contact tracing is not looking like a brilliant long-term solution either.)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now