Teaching 17 year old to drive

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
food4thought

Teaching 17 year old to drive

Post by food4thought »

hello folks

i was planning to teach my son to drive, as he is 17.

my insurance company will not insure him, they say he hasn't had his provisional licence long enough.

any suggestions on how to get him insured so i can teach him to drive.

rgds
Tinkers

Re: Teaching 17 year old to drive

Post by Tinkers »

Veygo insurance is worth a look. Also useful once they pass if they are only using your car from time to time.
My insurance would be almost 10x to put DD on (she passed in March just before tests got cancelled). I insure her with veygo for a couple of hours here and there, typically costs me about a tenner.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

A similar company is Marmalade. We did the same.
scary mum
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

We used Veygo. They do an insurance for 2hrs which is about £4.50-£5 a time. We used to take DS out on a Sunday afternoon between his lessons for a couple of hours. During half term we would put him on for the week at about £27 and he would drive everywhere during the week. The Veygo insurance is in their name, so if they have a prank you do not lose your no claims bonus.

DS had his first lesson on his 17th birthday and that evening we did a 2hr Veygo insurance, just driving round the block one way numerous times, then we really got adventurous...and drove the opposite way round the block! Both our DC took their test in our car and we even used a 2hr Veygo insurance for them to take the test.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Once they pass their test, Veygo insurance jumps up in price. The minimum you can do is a 1 day insurance at £25.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Blitz wrote:Once they pass their test, Veygo insurance jumps up in price. The minimum you can do is a 1 day insurance at £25.
I’ve been buying an hour or two for DD with veygo, I’ve not had to buy a full day. She passed the beginning of March. Costs me about a tenner for a couple of hours.

It’s basically just so she drives at least once every week or two.
food4thought

Post by food4thought »

Thank you people, I will try your recommendations. :)
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

We use Veygo but have bought a 3 month (when he first turned 17, it ran out on lockdown) and then a month just recently. Buying it for slightly longer it works out at about £10 a week, which is pretty good value. We looked at Marmalade both times but it is more expensive.

Veygo is basically an arm of Admiral. Once they are drivers, this type of bolt on for Learners isn’t valid and it can be more expensive. We found that taking out a multi car policy with Admiral brought the young driver one right down and the first year with DS1 got all 3 cars fully complies for £1000. The second year (despite having a totally no fault claim, where his car was written off due to another driver hitting it full on) the three carefully comp came in at £900 for all 3.
hallfieldschool

Post by hallfieldschool »

food4thought wrote:hello folks

i was planning to teach my son to drive, as he is 17.

my insurance company will not insure him, they say he hasn't had his provisional licence long enough.

any suggestions on how to get him insured so i can teach him to drive.

rgds
My son who just passed his test 2 days ago, uses general insurance. I believe they offer provisional driving insurance. Might be worth getting in touch with them.