This is all Mad.... What Do People Want From A School

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
loulou

Post by loulou »

ealingmum
I totally get where you are coming from and I agree when examined in the cold light of day it is all madness. I just wish I knew what the ideal solution was (one that would work in practice). I do, however, love everyones vision of the 'ideal school' and just wish it was an option for all our children wherever we lived and whatever their ability.
magwich

Post by magwich »

Right, well here's the non politically correct ,warts and all version of what we and the other mothers at school actually want from a school (think about it and do not all have a go at me at once!)
As much like a fee paying school as possible
No more than 500 pupils
Single sex
NO special needs at all!!! (possible exception for the blind and deaf who do not disrupt other childrens education)
Grade 2 listed buildings and extensive grounds
Teachers who read the Times or Telegraph (maybe the FT)
A distinctive uniform - preferably a boater in summer
A 3 or 4 day week as that is all they need to reach the lamentably low standard of GCSE - any one wanting free childcare would go elsewhere.
A minimum of 5 pupils to be expelled each year to keep them all on their toes.
No teacher under 35 years of age

Well you did ask!!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Magwich wrote:
A 3 or 4 day week as that is all they need to reach the lamentably low standard of GCSE - any one wanting free childcare would go elsewhere.
Or, teachers who are able to extend children beyond this level on the other days of the week!!
You are very brave Magwich, I am sure this will promote a healthy debate. I agree with most of it though!!

The only one I disagree with is the age of the teachers. (I am a 35 year old teacher, so I qualify...) MANY of the outstanding teachers at my school are younger than this! What age does provide though, is the maturity to deal with difficult parents and to have more understanding of certain situations which can affect children.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Magwich
As much like a fee paying school as possible
Have to disagree with you on this. There are some very good Independent schools, but there are also some absolute shockers.

In some Independent Schools the culture created by the Governors and Head is often that the customer is king and it doesn't matter what the child does, there is little chance of suspension or exclusion as the fees are all important.

I'm aware of one Independent school where a knife was thrown at a girl by another girl and the only action taken by the head was a minor verbal warning. In another school, a child was badly beaten and hospitalised and the school only took action when the police were involved as the incident was witnessed by a 3rd party.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No SEN? - that excludes many pupils in GS and Winston Churchill, Albert Einstein and many other gifted people ..... not my ideal school

Teachers who read only the DT and The Times - what a boring staff room that would be!

I want teachers who inspire their pupils to achieve above and beyond what they are capable of ...

Single sex ... hmmm ... the jury is out on that one -

Private schools can employ teachers without teaching qualifications - not sure I want this for my child ...
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

My wish list would be:

Excellent, enthusiastic teachers who are able to inspire their pupils.

An environment that allowed the pupils to develop into responsible adults and gave them self-confidence and self-belief.

To allow pupils to be intelligent and work hard without being ridiculed by their peers.

A place where children felt safe and secure and able to make a contribution.

Somewhere they felt happy and amongst friends.

Personally, I would choose a mixed school : I feel it de-mystifies the opposite sex and makes them a lot less interesting when you have to sit next to them in lessons all day long!Plus it is good to develop boy/girl friendships and working relationships.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

To allow pupils to be intelligent and work hard without being ridiculed by their peers.
That's a good one, Bexley. I was definitely looking for that also. An environment where learning and education are seen as 'cool'.
capers123

Re: This is all Mad.... What Do People Want From A School

Post by capers123 »

ealingmum wrote:Schools (independent and state) and LEAs know this goes on but haven't come up with an assessment method that doesn't reward such cramming.
Well.... I think they have. Some schools have a 12+ exam (for Y8 entry - whatever reason that happens for, but the main intake is Y7). It's not based on NVQ, VQ, NQ or NQVQRSTU.

It's based on the Y7 curriculum in English, Maths, Science and a modern language. Children already in the school take this test, and this gives a baseline score against which the potential pupils are marked. Interestingly, many of the potential pupils far excel the median of the current pupils - which implies that the school they are currently at could be better, or that they're much, much brighter.

However, it's awfully hard to prepare for other than by teaching all the things that an average Y7 child should be learning anyway (so tutoring for it would take a lot more time than 11+ tutoring).
Capers
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now