Forcing Children to wear Face Masks in Class

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Stimela

Forcing Children to wear Face Masks in Class

Post by Stimela »

Forcing children to wear face masks for in effect 7 hours a day is cruel and inhumane. This will trap in Carbon Dioxide and restrict their Oxygen intake which has surely got to have a short term and long term detrimental affect on their health. I heard there are articles in the BMJ which elaborate on the health issues of this.

I cannot understand why they are even doing this when most of the vulnerable are now vaccinated. School is hard enough for children at the moment without adding this extra burden.

I've challenged my children's schools on this but both have come back with the standard response that they have to follow the guidelines and it is against the law not to send your children in to school. I can't help but feel though that if they made their opposition more vocal then the Government would backtrack. Has anyone else written to their school about this and if so what was their reaction?
hermanmunster

Re: Forcing Children to wear Face Masks in Class

Post by hermanmunster »

It is not compulsory https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... -nick-gibb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stimela

Post by Stimela »

hermanmunster wrote:It is not compulsory https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... -nick-gibb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I did hear about this but unfortunately there will be a perverse reverse psychology in play because kids won't want to look 'weird' by being the only ones in class not wearing a mask. I've already given mine the option of either wearing a face visor or in extremis staying off school but they won't do either because they want to 'fit in'
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

the "fitting in" is what is going on in most places and what people are relying on. Even this very rebellious household can't face the hassle of not wearing a mask in the supermarket (we use visors quite often)
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Stimela wrote:Forcing children to wear face masks for in effect 7 hours a day is cruel and inhumane. This will trap in Carbon Dioxide and restrict their Oxygen intake which has surely got to have a short term and long term detrimental affect on their health. I heard there are articles in the BMJ which elaborate on the health issues of this.

I cannot understand why they are even doing this when most of the vulnerable are now vaccinated. School is hard enough for children at the moment without adding this extra burden.

I've challenged my children's schools on this but both have come back with the standard response that they have to follow the guidelines and it is against the law not to send your children in to school. I can't help but feel though that if they made their opposition more vocal then the Government would backtrack. Has anyone else written to their school about this and if so what was their reaction?
There isn't any evidence for this. Many professionals in healthcare have worn masks for years. It isn't much of a burden, all things considered, and it won't be for ever.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

BBC article debunking some of the myths. Whether they offer much protection in "normal" use is another matter.
It isn't pleasant to wear a mask all day, but it's not going to do anyone any harm (think of surgical staff who wear them all the time in the operating theatre).
Hopefully it won't be for too long.
scary mum
KS10

Post by KS10 »

An absolute nightmare for the hearing-impaired too who more often than not rely on lip reading. Group work is hard enough as it is!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

they don't offer much protection in either direction and were shown not to make much difference in general surgical theatres, in fact they stopped wearing them in some, apart from certain theatres (joint replacements / implants) it is probably a matter of habit.

I feel sorry for lip readers ( I am pretty sure I do a fair bit of this, certainly find it easier when I can see people's faces )
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I have to wear a visor sometimes and it gives me a headache. I do swap between visor and mask in school when it feels like one is getting a bit too much.

I do wonder how often the masks get washed though. I did see one of them put on a mask that they’d left in school for a few days.
Stimela

Post by Stimela »

scary mum wrote:BBC article debunking some of the myths. Whether they offer much protection in "normal" use is another matter.
It isn't pleasant to wear a mask all day, but it's not going to do anyone any harm (think of surgical staff who wear them all the time in the operating theatre).
Hopefully it won't be for too long.
Sorry, I don't trust the BBC for much these days. They seem to be another Government department issuing constant propaganda in favour of more lockdowns and more restrictions.

Yes surgical staff have to wear medical grade masks when in the Operating Theatre but they are adults and are they Operating 7 hours a day 5 days a week? Before this all started Hospital staff didn't wear masks in the corridors, in the consulting rooms, at their desks or in the wards.

You say it isn't going to do any harm but how do you know that? Like it or not we are conducting a medical experiment on our children to see the damage that wearing masks for long periods will make on their physical and mental health. The results of that experiment will be out in a few years time. Let's hope for the best.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now