Sleep Overs

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2nd time arround

Sleep Overs

Post by 2nd time arround »

What do you think of sleep overs or should they be called stay awake overs :?: .My children love them :P I do not :( , it doesn't matter if they are in our house or a friends I still end up with grumpy children the next couple of days.
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

I don't mind sleepovers at all,although I would rather they were held at our house.I can then "make the rules"and stay in control of DVD's,playstation games,so they are suitable.

I tell our DC (16and 11) what I expect,before their friends come, no spillages,cups etc to be brought down at regular intervals!, and I am very clear about what time they should be settled down-this depends on which child, and what is planned for the next day.

My DC know that if they don't do as we have asked....no more sleepovers!

As yet we have had no problems, in fact they have complied,and as a result they both have friends over on a regular basis. Like I said, in my opinion,it's all about groundrules, their friends don't seem to mind our "control" and our DC have grown up with it! Probably sounds a bit "formal" and strict,but it works for us, the DC have loads of fun, as we all know where we stand.
zorro

Post by zorro »

My DS had a sleepover for his 11th birthday in Feb.
At midnight I had to collect and confiscate all their PSP's and had to read the riot act at regular intervals until 04.00 (!!!!!!!!!) when I went in and said that if they didn't go to sleep immediately I would ring their parents NOW to come and collect them.Believe me I feltlike really doing it!
That worked and there were a few giggles but eventually silence.
My DS was like a zombie the next day though!
Had one for 14 DD last year and they were as good as gold apart from a midnight feast of sweets and chocolate!(Sorry Mrs Dentist!)
It's DD's birthday in 3 weeks time and I have to go through it again!!!!!
As long as it's a Sat at least they have Sun to vegetate !
monstermunch

Post by monstermunch »

I hate having sleep-overs but it seems to score popularity points for the kids. I get no sleep, and my kids are nightmares ALL day. I only do them in the summer now after we've ran them ragged until 11pm. They still don't sleep though! :roll:
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

I tell my kids they will have to sleep in a tent in the garden, no takers yet. :D but I think they will call my bluff this summer. :roll:

stevew61
solimum

sleepovers

Post by solimum »

I tell my kids they will have to sleep in a tent in the garden
A good idea- except that then you will have the neighbours complaining they can't get to sleep! Plus there is always one plaintive knock on the back door at 5am wanting the loo just when you've finally dropped off...

My worst sleepover experience was the child at my DD's birthday sleepover in the lounge who was sick (fortunately mostly over her own sleeping bag rather than my carpet..) and her parents had to be called to take her home. Even after clearing up things the rest of the girls refused to sleep in the same room. My DD complained that she'd never wanted to invite the girl anyway!
KES Parent

Re: sleepovers

Post by KES Parent »

solimum wrote:
I tell my kids they will have to sleep in a tent in the garden
A good idea- except that then you will have the neighbours complaining they can't get to sleep! Plus there is always one plaintive knock on the back door at 5am wanting the loo just when you've finally dropped off...

My worst sleepover experience was the child at my DD's birthday sleepover in the lounge who was sick (fortunately mostly over her own sleeping bag rather than my carpet..) and her parents had to be called to take her home. Even after clearing up things the rest of the girls refused to sleep in the same room. My DD complained that she'd never wanted to invite the girl anyway!
One of my DSs was so concerned about an inebriated friend that he brought him home with him in order to look after him in his bedroom, with predictable consequences for my landing carpet. I couldn't be too cross as I would be obviously be hugely grateful to anyone else who took care of DS under similar circumstances, but I did set DS to work with the steam cleaner in the morning!! :wink: They did get quite a lot of sleep though, although I'm not advocating this as a way of achieving it.
bagqueen

Post by bagqueen »

Having one tonight! walls are thumping even now.....I think i need a drink!
2nd time arround

Post by 2nd time arround »

monstermunch I totally agree with you :) we had 5 girls over for my dd 14th birthday last saturday night and I am still recovering :!:
zorro

Post by zorro »

Bagqueen,
Open the Chardonnay immediately, drink it quickly then another one and you'll go to sleep and not even hear the walls thumping!
(Only joking - I know you have to stay sober to police them!)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now