Thoughts re school trip - advice needed

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ratbag

Thoughts re school trip - advice needed

Post by ratbag »

DD is in year 6, the mothers of some the year 6 have arranged a day trip (on a school day) by coach. The expectation is that all the kids and mothers will go.
My question is - if a mother can't go what is the situtaion for the child ? The trip is in school time but has no teachers going.
Are the other mothers CRB list 99 or whatever checked?
If not should they be?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

How can the school sanction this on a school day? I think it is decidedly dodgy - what insurance is there? If something goes wrong teachers are insured and you can sue the LA for negligence ...

I would query this with the LA - have the school got permission? I very much doubt it!
KES Parent

Re: Thoughts re school trip - advice needed

Post by KES Parent »

ratbag wrote:DD is in year 6, the mothers of some the year 6 have arranged a day trip (on a school day) by coach. The expectation is that all the kids and mothers will go.
My question is - if a mother can't go what is the situtaion for the child ? The trip is in school time but has no teachers going.
Are the other mothers CRB list 99 or whatever checked?
If not should they be?
They won't be allowed to take unaccompanied children, as you say because of CRB checks. Even if one of them has CRB clearance from her own workplace it won't apply in relation to her child's school if she doesn't work there. It sounds very strange to me, and I would be very suspicious that everything such as risk assessments have not been done, not to mention how the school would justify this mass absenteeism to the school attendance officer or whatever they're called these days. :shock:
ratbag

Post by ratbag »

Hi

thanks for the comments - I can't go on the day and have said DD can't go - am not v popular..........(hence the user name)

BTW it is a private school - may make a difference to the attendance issues but not to the insurance / CRB / etc etc
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Nor who to sue if there is an accident ... it is a minefield - literally!

Who has sanctioned this 'visit'? You need to query with Governors if they are aware - I cannot think ANY school would think this is sensible.

I have taken many school trips and the checks to be made for H&S are numerous - and that is for very good reasons.
ratbag

Post by ratbag »

thanks for your advice

Gut feeling was that it wasn;t right - but I was made to feel bad by other mothers (and DD) for not just sending her along.

Not sure whether just to keep quiet and keep DD off that day(? should they arrange lessons for her if I don't want her to go - seriously though will find something nice for her to do instead :) ) or say anything?
solimum

trip

Post by solimum »

Don't you know any of the other mums well enough to trust them with your DD for the day? -or do you ask for a CRB check every time your DD wants to visit a school friend, go to a party? My gut instinct would be that it is a nice idea by a group of mums to celebrate the end of the children's time at primary school before they all go their separate ways, and to let her go - she will really resent being left at school attached to a younger class. Can a grandma/ aunty/ dad/ not accompany instead? You could check that it's a reputable coach company if that's the concern. If you keep her at home instead won't you miss work (or whatever) anyway?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Solimum - in school time this is not sensible - it's different at a weekend - but the school is 'in loco parentis' and should not sanction this.

This is a legal minefield if there is an accident (God forbid) - if I was running this visit I would have to fill in forms, get parental agreement plus signatures re permission for hospita treatment, contact details, insurance, checking coach company, checking venue's H&S ....
katel

Post by katel »

If it's not an official school trip, then surely it's just a group outing and the journey will be covered by the coach company's insurance. Not quite sure why you won't let her go - I must be missing something. Would you let her go on a trip out with a friend and her parents in their car without asking for CRB checks and proof of insurance?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The point is it's on a SCHOOL DAY in school time - this is why it is dodgy - the school are 'allowing' it but not doing their job of checking - sorry this is really serious.

It's quite different organising a 'jolly' in the holidays or at weekends.