A Gay Geek Wearing Glasses at Grammar!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jah

Post by jah »

As someone who has worn glasses since the age of 3, I am afraid I see people wanting to wear glasses almost on a par with people saying that they want a wheelchair or a hearing aid. Yes, it's super that the frames are much better nowadays; but 2 out of my 3 children wear glasses and I wish they didn't have to. My 12 year old is looking forward to the day when I get her contact lenses.

I'm not hung up about it; wearing glasses is very much part of me. However, it affects everything you do if your eyesight is bad.
Here we go again

Post by Here we go again »

Scatshouse, love those braces. I'll have to show them to my DD. The waiting list around here for NHS braces is 2 years so we will have to go private anyway. Re glasses, roll on 18 when they can have lasik or whatever it's called.
BTW Just wanted to mention, my DS was called 'gay' the other day for not wanting to look at **** on the computer at school which the other boys had found. Year 8 at grammar! Not too impressed about that one.
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi all, just as an aside, my son hated wearing glasses,especially at school, so we get contact lenses (focus dailies) for him to wear at school, and he wears glasses at home.

We didn't think he would get on with lenses, but it is, by far, the best option for him. He got used to them quickly, and sport is so much easier.

The added bonus is that you don't have the worry of the DC losing their glasses, and my son is happy to pick from the nhs range of glasses to wear at home.
We have the lowest package from an optician, (one pack per month) which is very reasonable, and includes a contact lense check up, then we buy what ever amount we need,using his prescription, online.

Just an idea !

Best wishes, Proud Mum x2
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

Jah, I too have needed glasses since I was 8 years old and I am glad that my children don't need them. If they did though I am also glad that they are now seen as 'cool' and that it wouldn't worry them to wear them. As far as I'm aware none of my children's friends are teased for wearing glasses, the only reason it was added to my son's teasing was for alliteration I'm sure.
My choice at 8 was a kind of 'Dame Edna' type (don't know what my parents were doing letting me choose myself!) and I never wore them after the first day when my class were in hysterics. I'm just glad that the choice nowadays is better if my kids ever do need them.