A Gay Geek Wearing Glasses at Grammar!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

I was reminded of this thread when my daughter came home yesterday with the news that the "popular" girls in her year are saying that she only got a place on appeal because she had been "sucking up" to the school.

Incidentally, one of the so called "popular" girls was unsuccessful at appeal for the same school despite having a higher score than my DD.

She only has another four weeks at this school, having been very happy there since she was 5 - I really want her to enjoy it, not spend it listening to a load of b**chy nonsense. :roll:
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hi Scatshouse
My son is now getting the same treatment from his so called mates!

He wears his hair long and is now into heavy metal especially Metallica and Iron maiden,when he wore his long denim shorts,baseball boots and Metallica tshirt to the disco,he received silly comments and name calling all night long!

All his "mates" going to the the boys high school in Sept wore the same ,scalped haircut,tracksuit bottoms and sports shirts HOW BORING !!

I am proud to have a son who is different and is willing to stand out fron the crowd as I'm sure you are, and like your son he can't wait to find some likeminded boys when he stats in Sept!

It's funny how the boys who thought it was fine for him to be top of the class since year 2 now consider him a weird geek!

Anyway not long now
good luck Pensby :lol:
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Pensby wrote:geek
Geek is no longer a derogatory term. 'Nerd' is best avoided.

I remember working with a fellow Geek who had been on the TV Programme BlockBusters. He was gradually working through his list of prizes having swept the board.

Good luck to your DS in Yr 7 and on the TV programme!

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
hari

Post by hari »

Pensby you have made me feel better! :D

Is it a Wirral thing then? My dd this time last year was all girly and now she has told me she is a ' mosher' :shock: She wears black ALL the time and is driving us mad with her guitar ( electric) er...playing!

I had rather hoped that she would tow the line fashion wise for at least ONE year at grammar :wink: So all my hopes for a rosy cheeked jolly hockey sticks dd have kinda gone out the window...!

Mind you I do remember carrying my Bikers leather in a plastic bag and changing into my school blazer on the school field :oops: Don't know where she get it from.. :lol:
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hari
My son also has an elestric guitar and plays the violin :roll:

DD in year 9 at West Kirby lives in black (with very occasional colour) and is a sort of "Emo" so, yes there must be something in the Wirral water!
:wink:
what school is your DD at ?
Pensby
hari

Post by hari »

hi Pensby, she is going to Upton.

Have to say though at the last ' own clothes day ' there were plenty of sites to be seen...!!! Not just us I don't think. :lol:

The boy who sits next to my dd said to her just before half term " you're weired you are sort of half boy half girl " I told her from an 11 yo boy that's high praise indeed! :wink:

I can see her being ' the goth of Greasby' by year 9. Hey ho ... :shock:
zorro

Post by zorro »

Hi Sam's Mum,
Just curious - how did the other girl not get a place if she got a higher score than your DD ?
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

Hi Zorro

An appeal panel will take all the evidence presented into account, not just the 11+ scores. They must have just felt we had a stronger case.

I was surprised that the other girl hadn't already had a place from the waiting list but the school, I believe, operates two waiting lists - one for girls in the catchment area and one for girls who are out of area. We are in the catchment area and this other girl is not so that may have had some bearing. We went in to the appeal knowing that our DD was No 1 on the waiting list which may have helped.

Regards

Sam's Mum
zorro

Post by zorro »

Ok- I see now!
Good luck at the school!
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

I can see her being ' the goth of Greasby' by year 9. Hey ho ... :shock:
Hi Hari,
There are plenty of 'goths/emos/moshers' (don't know which is which :roll: ) at Upton, your daughter will love it :D

Hi Pensby,
Have you had your meeting yet with key stage 3 staff at Calday? Had mine this week and they all seem very nice.

Scatshouse.