Sats Level

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Josa

Sats Level

Post by Josa »

I've received my son's end of year report, he's in yr 3 and has done really well achieving A in all the subjects, however the report did not indicate his Sats level. Is the school oblige to tell me this if I request or the fact that he's in yr3 and hasn't taken the real Sats papers mean they don't have to?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

They should let you know if you ask
bouga
Josa

Post by Josa »

Went to school this morning and asked the teacher if it was possible to know my son's sats level. She said they are not giving it out so I asked her if this was right because as a parent I would like to know how much progress my son has made since last year and I personally don't think the teacher's assessment gives a good indication of this . She said she will speak to another teacher and will let me know on Friday if I can have the information or not.

Please advise if the school is oblige to give out this information if I've requested for it and if they refuse to what can I do :?:
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

I sympathize - I'm having the same problems at DD's school. It's really frustrating when you've supported your child through all the tests they sit in years 3, 4 and 5, and then find that you have to jump through hoops to get the results! Parents are entitled to know this information by law and should not need to quote chapter and verse in order to get it - it should be freely supplied if requested.

The policy at DD's school has clearly changed in recent years. The school used to include test scores in the end-of-year reports (I know this because of her sister who is several years older and attended the same primary school) but now you simply get general statements and the things you actually want to know seem to be kept guarded. Apparently it's to stop us parents going away and "comparing notes". :evil: Yet we are still expected to sign a parent/school partnership agreement in which we promise to work with the school by ensuring homework is done, PE kits etc. taken on the correct day, and keeping them informed about anything happening at home that might affect our child's performance at school. All a bit one-sided, it seems!

Anyone else have any views on this?
Marylou
KB

Post by KB »

I think you need the teacher's assessment and the test score.
Most teacher's are very professional and their assessment will be very accurate - more so than a 'snap shot' test, but if the two levels are different you might want to get an explanation about why.
It always concerns me when schools hold back information - what have they got to hide?
The sceptical among us might wonder if the optional sats scores were not as good as they should have been? or would they allow us to see during which year the children make least progress?
I would take this up with the Head rather than the class teacher as it is a school policy issue.
Josa

Post by Josa »

Thanks KB, I've asked the HD for the Sats results and she blatantly said no :o . Please see my post on Sats KS2 (level 5 a, b or c).
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

In year 3, 4 and 5 the tests taken are QCA optional tests, they follow the format of the actual sats tests but they are optional, ie the school does not have to do them.

I would trust the teacher assessment, it is based on your child's performance over a period of tome, not just on a test which takes 40 minutes.