Childs data under the FOI act

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bewildered

Childs school data under 1998 Data Protection Act

Post by Bewildered »

Hi,

Has anyone requested the records and data that their school hold for their child under the freedom of information act?

I did this recently and have only been given the QCA results since they have attended the school, which I already know about. I thought I would be given all the raw data for all tests done and information like attendance records.

I am quite annoyed that they have fobbed me of with such little information.

If anyone has done this previously could you please advise what the school has given you in response to a similar request.

thanks

BW
WP

Re: Childs school data under the FOI act

Post by WP »

Bewildered wrote:Has anyone requested the records and data that their school hold for their child under the freedom of information act?

I did this recently and have only been given the QCA results since they have attended the school, which I already know about. I thought I would be given all the raw data for all tests done and information like attendance records.
FoI is for information not about yourself (or your children). This would be a subject access request under the Data Protection Act 1998. I've use FoI but not DPA, but I think in both cases you have to be quite specific about what you're asking for, and be prepared to follow up if you don't get it. The Information Commissioner's Office has a lot of specific guidance.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Sorry I keep confusing these. Yes it was a request for "a written copy of all personal and educational records and data held by the school, in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998''
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now