Youtube

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Again, as I do not know who is reading this I am not going to explain how images can be used ... but they are, that should be enough.
katel

Post by katel »

OK- I will continue to assume you are talking hysterical nonsense then.

Seems to me far more irresponsible to let people carry on behaving in a way you know to be dangerous.....if you can prove that the behaviour is dangerous of course, and you're not getting your information from that paper of record the Daily Mail!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Katel,

If you refuse to take my word then I give up as you are clearly wearing blinkers. I accept that you may live such a sheltered life that you have not encountered such practices - be grateful for that.

Most years I deal with several children damaged by the misuse of photos and videos - I think that should be enough 'proof' for you.
katel

Post by katel »

So they have been damaged by the misuse of images that did not bear their name, their address, their date of birth or any other identifying features and which had been posted in their full knowledge along with millions of others on a web-hosting site?

Can you answer, hand on heart, "yes" to all of these points?
Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

I am with Guest55 on this one. I think it depends on what your own experience has been.

Through my work I have come across and had to deal with quite a number of young adults who have been the victim of inappropriate pictures being posted / sent around on texts and the impact of this, which can be devastating - do not underestimate the impact it can have. One of the problems has often been that the victim themslevs and their family often didn't recognise the danger until it had happened. People start thinking it is all innocent fun - which it usually is to start with, a couple of kids mucking about with a mobile phone camera - but it can escalate.

They start posting pictures on the web; it starts small but then they start to post more and more, the threshold for what is funny / different lowers and what once seemed daring now seems mundane - so they make more "interesting" clips to post....

The other issue is that what is on the Net stays there.... I have been through this by asking my DS's to search for various people that they know; friends, adults they know etc. See what is on the Net about them and realise that often this dates back a long time. My own view is that social networking sites / video clip sites will come back to haunt many people in the future and I have made it clear to my chidlren that as long as they live under our roof and use our computer network they are not allowed to use them. Seems draconian - maybe but in the same way as i make them wear a seat belt to protect them from physical injury I will set the rules to protect them from emotional abuse.

-
bigrob

Post by bigrob »

Obviously each parent has to make their own choices for their own family.

But to want to ban cameras and camcorders which Guest55 seems to want to do is just plain bonkers.

Of course any photo or video can be manipulated but that doesn't mean we have to ban everything.

I have a dead tree in my garden. My youngest DS wanted to climb it. I know the dangers but he does he?. So I let him climb it. As he climbs the tree he uses thick branches to start with. Then as he gets higher he has to use thinner branches. As he feels the thinner branches start to bend he learns what is dangerous and what isn't.

It is this type of "liberal" thinking that has got conkers banned in schools (and many other things as well).
[/img]
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Are you having a stressful day today Bigrob? Some of your posts are coming across quite vehemently!
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Whilst all posters may have an opinion, could we please be Courteous whilst we each have our say.
bigrob

Post by bigrob »

I have just filled an Oyster card form for the younger DS.

An Oyster card can be used in the capital from the age of 11 for kids to go free on the buses.

I am now in a dilemma. On the form is my address and my DSes photo.

Should I not send the form to Transport For London? I mean it has his photo attached, his DOB and his photo. What if someone who handles the form is one of these Pedos and comes to kidnap him?

Or when I applied for his passport - same thing. I have NO idea who is seeing his photo and now knows his address?

How do I know his photo is not going to be copied and manipulated?

This might seem flippant, but it is far more dangerous to send kids out in to the world (i.e. work/university) if we have wrapped them up in cotton wool.

Those that are against any taking of photos. Have you banned your child from appearing in class photos?

If your school does not stop parents taking photos/videos of school plays, have you stopped your children from appearing in them unless the school bans the practice?

If so how does your child feel to be kept apart and not allowed to take part?

Do you hide your childrens faces when you are walking in shopping centers - I mean there are all those security cameras. Who is monitoring those cameras. Who is supervising those who monitor the cameras? Who is supervising the supervisors?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Bigrob,

When you read what I have posted properly I will respond.

I did not suggest all photo taking was banned - just that it should be regulated and that parents should be aware of the dangers other adults can pose.

I am glad that this is obviously outside your 'area of knowledge' and I wish it was outside mine and I did not have to deal with the consequences.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now