The cost of instruments

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
capers123

Post by capers123 »

KenR wrote:You don't have to be in a state school if your local music service runs ensembles and your child successfully auditions for one of these.
Certainly in Gloucestershire there are children from all sectors that attend the county music centres. At the one my family attends there are children from state and private - and the private is split between 'conventional prep & secondary' and Steiner.

Anyone (and of any age) can hire the instruments; there is no form of means test (unless you're asking for free hire).

Our music service is run by the county council, but is poorly funded. Its aim is to create as high a standard of music as possible, and to allow as many people in the county access to the joy of music. Hence it also runs 'Adult Learn-as-you-Play' orchestras and bands as well as youth orientated bands. And, yes, I know parents whose children are at private schools who attend them!
Capers
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

sounds like we need to start running and instrument exchange :wink: or if not exchange then do some deals to buy these instruments off each other.,.....
I'm after a trumpet!!!! DS borrowe one for a while but needs his own now.
jemima

Cost of lessons!

Post by jemima »

I currently pay £15 per half hour for lessons. Is this the norm?

I pay 2 half hour piano lessons - 2 three quarter hour piano lessons. 2 trumpet lessons - 2 half hour singing lessons - all at this rate and also 3 in school lessons at school price (for other instruments.) Sixth form A level in school lessons are FREE!
I have lots of kids!!!
They range from a few grade 8's down to starters at grade 2 but no one wants to give up!
I can't afford to add on county music fees and so rely on school orchestras, bands etc to give playing experience.
Also we have to timetable the piano as more able players won't practice on keyboards. LOVE IT ALL really. Long may it last.
melinda

Post by melinda »

Jemima, Do you have 6 - 8 kids? The Von Trapp family springs to mind!

Anyway, I think it is great that you have such a musical family. You almost have a full ensemble!!
KB

Post by KB »

Tipsy
I think if one starts learning the oboe it is relatively easy to transfer to basoon so maybe this would be an option until your son is a bit bigger? As previously mentioned, oboes are much cheaper :)
capers123

Re: Cost of lessons!

Post by capers123 »

jemima wrote:I currently pay £15 per half hour for lessons. Is this the norm?
Our piano / flute teacher charges £9 per 1/2 hour (although we get it for £8.50 as we have 2 children with her); that is for single lessons, not shared ones... And, yes, she is qualified. She's also quite flexible if we need to swap lessons round.

I know other people charge more than that round here, but I think we struck lucky.

Oddly, £18 per hour is also the price we pay for tutoring for 11+ for a shared (2 person) lesson from a primary school teacher. Again, I know of much more expensive tutors who also insist on attendance at summer courses and the like.
Capers
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I'm going to look into the oboe and speak to the tutor and my DS. I'm a bit concerned though that my son feels he doesn't have a lot of say in his life now he is a chorister but at least he can choose his instrument.