The cost of instruments

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KenR

Post by KenR »

Tipsy

You don't have to be in a state school if your local music service runs ensembles and your child successfully auditions for one of these.

Both of my children are in Birmingham Music Service ensembles and they do have some instruments available, some of them are very good quality.

My daughter attends KEHS (Independent School) and could have had a flute if required - it's just that I bought a very good one from E-Bay some years ago so she didn't need to loan one.

Ken
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Ken,

As my son is just beginning lessons I don't think he would get into an ensemble. He could start a weekend club but as he has just started his first year as a chorister I wouldn't want to overload him with music at the weekends.

I think when it comes to children, VAT should either be exempt for all or it should be completely means tested. So if you're well off but at a state or private school you get nothing, and if you're on a bursary at a private school you are still entitled to something. The assisted place scheme states that you have to be at an LEA school and specifically says children at private schools are not eligible. There are a number of people who really struggle with school fees, and not only have to pay twice but are excluded from other things because of false perceptions and the government penalising.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

I don't know anything about bassoons, but hopefully it would be like a piano. If you buy the right instrument at the right price second price, it should hold hopefully appreciate in value. Whereas rental is money down the drain.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

I think if you buy a second hand instrument, which for very expensive instruments is quite a reasonable thing to do, in fact I have just done it, there is no VAT to pay. That is what the shop told us anyway.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks for all the great advice! :)
solimum

music

Post by solimum »

Hi Tipsy - great to hear about another potential bassoonist - my son started in Year 5 and his hands were just big enough for a full size one- we used a borrowed instrument ( a relative who wasn't playing any more) for a few months until we spotted one second-hand in the local paper : that lasted him until about grade 5 or so at which point we (helped by grandparents and the VAT-free purchase through school) bought a new Schreiber 5016 from Normans. Also you need to remember that bassoon reeds are quite expensive too, at least until your son can make his own...

I remember a Birmingham-based Double Reed day several years ago where I was amazed by the troupes of mini-bassoons in backpacks (they sound a fifth higher than standard bassoons but do have a regrettable resemblance to quacking noices in the hands of 8-year olds...). But the full-sized beast is a lovely instrument (my son used it for his A level recital, and has had a great time with the Birmingham ensembles during his time at KE grammar) and hopefully more in demand for university orchestras than the armies of flutes...

I would be inclined to see if your son (and your budget) can stretch to a full-sized instrument as soon as feasible - as others have said, music instruments don't usually depreciate in value in the same way as stocks & shares in banks....Of course, if he really gets a taste for it he'll want a contra bassoon as well - the Birmingham Music Service one has been an occasional visitor in our house and is a magnificent specimen, but wouldn't leave you much change from £25000....
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks Solimum,

I am surprised that St Pauls Cathedral School doesn't have tenoroons or bassoons, as lots of schools keep banging on about how useful it is for scholarships, and St P's has to try and get scholarships as many of the choristers cannot afford senior school fees.

I definitely cannot get the VAT off :( which would ave saved a huge £300, and his music tutor has said there is no way he will cope with a bassoon. I'm going to try my local council today but again its unlikely because he isn't in an LEA school. Whatever method of payment we go for, he will be doing the Bassoon until A'level as I'm putting my foot down in this instance! :roll:
solimum

Post by solimum »

Hi again Tipsy

It would be a shame to make the rarity and scholarship potential the main reason for taking up (and continuing) with an instrument (if that's the case, look at oboes which are smaller, cheaper and equally endangered) - I hope that your son wants to play it himself because he's fallen for its slightly quirky nature, the ability to switch between orchestral comic, wind band bass line and heart-rending plaintive melody, and that he will fall in love with it himself and WANT to carry on playing to A level and beyond.... After all, a choir boy's voice lasts only for a few short years, but a bassoon is for LIFE!

Perhaps I should change my name to bassoonmum!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Yes Bassoonmum is very fitting! :lol:

I let him try out a varitey of instruments but he wants to play the bassoon because it looks like a fierce weapon!!! :roll:
capers123

Post by capers123 »

yoyo123 wrote:We have a very expensive clothes horse in Miss yoyo's bedroom, otherwise known as a cello!

and 3 sets of drums
We have half a kit and a glock in the playroom, a 'flat pack kit' and bass drum in the company warehouse (our house is too small), piano in the lounge, 2 flutes in the back bedroom (aka laundry room), 2 melodoens, 1 anglo concertina, 1 bombard, many different recorders, and a 3 hole pipe & tabor in our home office. And a duck call (useful for breaking tension during adult orchestra practices).

Maybe a small harp (clarsach / folk harp) might be an answer - smaller, lighter, cheaper. No pedals, so no quick key changes.
Capers
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now