AWAITING KIDS EXAM RESULTS AND NOT FEELING MYSELF.....

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I admit nothing! 8)
Road Runner

Melx

Post by Road Runner »

I still remember it 3 years ago.

Couldn't do the postman attack as was told child would be given envelope from school direct. Couldn't try to sneak in and mug son at school as was advised envelopes would only be given at END OF DAY!!!

So it was Friday and I went to work and did what I do now logged on to 11+ forum. There I stayed for the next 6 hours.

At 2.30 I was back at school but only to pick dd up. Would you believe it ds had decided he would still play afterschool Basketball. I know I know I should have stopped him and yes I had thought of tripping him over on his way out in the morning to cause injury but figured if I ended up at hopsital may not see letter until after weekend!!!

So there I was outside school a tad early. Watching as every year 6 pupil appeared, liked some derranged stalker. Some were smiling some were laughing some were waving brown envelopes. I half looked then, didn't want to measure size against smile or dismay. Heart was fluttering and tears were forming. Oh my god I knew then I had lost it. Finally I ran into school grabbed confused daughter allowing her no time to faff about as usual. Instead ran with her to car. To saftey of car no more faces. no more envelopes.

Again we waited. Basketball. Why do they need an hour??

Then there he was usual smiley face coming towards car, No sign of Brown envelope, no knowing sign. We drive off.

"Its in my bag mum" . "ok darling" and thats all we said.

Later that evening when husband had finally given in to my manic "what time will you be here" phone calls and had got home we gave son the envelope. He had wanted this.

We waited

He opened....................

He passed

I screamed, I jumped, I dived(pore soul) he laughed then went upstairs to play PS2!!!

Cor was that 3 years ago!!!

Mel
x
Northkentmum

Post by Northkentmum »

Reading all your posts brings back those memories of that soooooooooo stressful time :cry:

I can remember the sleepless nights leading up to THAT day, double checking (each day!) that I had in fact registered to receive the results online and playground conversation always beginning with "..x more days to go..." or "if/when she/he passes/fails.........."

I made sure I wasn't working on THAT day and actually had the Monday off as well and was trying to not think about the following day when the postman arrived with a letter franked with the name of a school in our area that was never going to be an option for our DD :shock:

OMG!!! nothing was supposed to happen until 9am tomorrow when you could log on and get the results. I opened the letter kidding myself that the school had written to us by mistake............but no........... it started with "We are happy to offer a place to............... " NOOOOOOOOOO :x :x :x I was straight on the phone and was told that the school had inadvertently sent out the letters early and this was indeed the offer my DD was given.

No tears at first I was too angry, I wasn't prepared to find out like this and this also meant she had failed 11+ but had to wait until next day for scores as no one meant to find out until then!!!

It was horrible having to tell DD but made light of it by promising that she would never go to that school so not to worry we'd sort it out, hadn't found this site at that point so had no idea what I was going to do but knew it didn't involve an acceptance of the place. She seemed to be ok but I knew how disappointed she was.

Next day even worse as tried to log on just in case mistake had been made!!!! Anyone from Kent will remember the disaster as the system crashed (what a surprise!!!) but sadly no mistake and when I collected DD from school she told me about parents coming up to school at different times and their child was called out of class so that the parent could tell their DC their results, there were lots of happy faces and all DD's friends got their first choices. To this day I'm so proud of the mature way she dealt with everyone else's success and her disappointment especially as she'd missed out by only 6 marks in her maths paper but sailed through VR and NVR.

Anyway, (sorry to go on T.I.P.S.Y if you're still reading this thread :wink: ) to cut a long story short DD had entrance exam for independent school the following week, this was our backup only because Grandparents offered to help+++ with fees, she sat the exam and then later I went through the "sitting at the window waiting for the postman" that many had done previously and then YIPEEEEEEEEEE :D :D she'd been accepted

Do you know what the best part was.................... going down to the school and asking for her to be brought out of class, just like the others had previously, so I could tell her HER results and she was able to go back into class full of excitement and tears knowing that she had succeeded also :D

A final comment ............ she was awarded a minor scholarship at prize giving at end of year 7 this July which proves there is "life after 11+" and I can't describe how immensely proud of her we are :D :D
NKM
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

That just made me cry NK mum!!! Lovely ending to a sad story.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

What a positive story Northkentmum (and no you don't bore me, only Ed's mum :wink: ). :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now