Birthday presents

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Haveto agree with Eds mum. £10 voucher is ample or I have even stuck £10 in an envelope. Boys love hard cash!!

I wouldn't buy based on what the party was as at the end of the day they are invited because the child wants them there and personally I wouldn't concern yourself with how much its costing them to throw the party or how much work is involved as thats down to the parents.

To be honest most kids will get the gift and then not give it a second thought. Most even forget who gives what so wouldn't worry.

Mel
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I SO love this website...
it's more than an 11+ site; you get advice on anything to do with parenting and children within a few minutes of posting. It's an excellent way of checking what to do in any given situation!
zorro

Post by zorro »

Ed's mum,
Hear hear!

And all free!! :wink: :wink: :wink:
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Round here everyone tends to give either a £10 note or a voucher for same. The kids love it as can get what they like and easy for us :D
mum3

Post by mum3 »

£10 HMV gift card is what we give regardless of parental income of the party giver!
katel

Post by katel »

Do people really judge the present according to the party? I think that's awful - sorry! And I thing £20 for a present unless it's for a very special friend is far too much. £10 is my limit - maybe stretching to £12. And I buy stuff in the sales so I've got a well stocked "secret cupboard" to draw on.

A well chosen present is what you're aiming for, not a present to match the income of the party child's parents. If I tried to do that I would have to give one of dd's friends a polo pony and another a bat of Dairy Milk!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Well I don't think £20 is too much, but I also wouldn't care if someone spent £3 on my kid as I don't have any issues either way!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

£20 per child per birthday would be FAR too much for me! We actually cannot afford 10 in all honesty.
Think about how much it mounts up, especially if you have more than one child. I genuinely think that one should give a meaningful present - one that is well thought out - if possible. That has so much more worth than a £20 note.
I work really hard, as does my husband, and we still cannot afford some fairly basic things. So am I prepared to spend my hard earned, and much needed money to keep up with the Joneses? Nope!
chad

Post by chad »

The accepted birthday gift for school friends is approx £5 - £10 ... cash or a HMV voucher/ GAME voucher is always a good bet.... for family friends (ie children that your child has 'grown up' with) I tend to spend a bit more..... usually around £20-£25.....but that is because we know them well and the pressie is from all of us.
marie

birthday presents

Post by marie »

we only spend on average a fiver for a school friend less if i can get a bargain but that seems fairly average round here may spend slightly more if special school friend or one of my best friends children.
This is not because i'm stingy but realistic I have four children with some months 2 or 3 parties. Just to increase my stingy rating I stopped doing party bags a few years ago felt spending lots of money on stuff that usually goes in the bin was a bit of waste plus also feel that parties about celebrating a child' birthday and not about which parent's can outdo each other or making some feel guilty if they can't live up to the latest party trend.

sorry rant over
i am quite nice really!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now