Girls going through puberty...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

But what a relief it must have been for her not to have to go through that so terribly early!!!
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

What I find really strange now, as oppose to many years ago when my little friends and I were awaiting (??) puberty is, not only do the girls find mentioning the girly changes with their parents embarassing, but they don't like discussing it with each other either - whereas I can remember us in the 4th year (now Yr 6!) huddled into the toilets hearing about the latest girl who had started her periods, asking her questions and her telling us how she felt etc.

Having said that, my DD isn't too bad at asking questions but that is probably because she looks like she may have a while to wait for any changes to her :lol:

When I asked her about other girls in her class she was shocked and said none of them would dream of talking about any personal bits other than who uses what deodorant and are any of them allowed to put on make up out of school?

Looks like in this respect the average girl these days is really in denial about this part of growing up - funny how things change.

Ambridge x
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Which is even stranger when a lot of them seem so eager to grow up too quickly!!
Wallasey

Post by Wallasey »

It may just depend on the group of girls. During my whole school life I never had one single conversation with another girl about periods, although I did hear one once or twice! I wait to see what DD will be like. I certainly will be more proactive in talking to her than my mother was with me though.
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Yes, I agree don't make it into a big secret, it's a personal bodily function like many others we have and although not something we want to discuss over supper, should not be taboo or whispered about (especially when you think of some of the awful toilet humour conversations boys/men have about their bodily functions :roll: ).

Ambridge x
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

The first outward sign of puberty in my dd was underarm hair. She, like many of her friends, started her periods in year 7. She was pretty prepared luckily.

I found some 'teen' friendly websites about puberty. Don't know if some of the girls would find them easier to look at than a book?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Mine refuses to discuss it at all.
My son, on the other hand, has been given prep of drawing both male and femal genitalia this week!!!!
I sent a letter into school today asking what the arrangements are when a girl has her period and I anticipate a reply shortly. Daughter should actually have handed it in yesterday but wac canny and guessed it's contents!!
I gave her the choice of handing in the letter or the risk of me having to ask her teacher in person, possibly within her earshot. That did the trick!!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now