Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Here's something (a book) which may be of use to those of you with boys

http://www.redhouse.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st ... h_unzipped
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Ed's mum wrote:My gut feeling is that she will start her periods soon, but there appears to be no provision for this at my daughter's school.
You may well be right but I'd find it surprising if there weren't any provision. Kids are sometimes a little blind about things that don't concern them - my eldest only discovered the use of a sanitary disposal unit after starting secondary school and swore blind there were no such things at her primary school when I know for a fact they are in both Y5 and Y6 girls' toilets there.

The estimate at our primary in relation to sanitary disposal is that by the end of Y6 up to 25% of girls are having periods and I doubt our primary is different from most.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

At the school I teach at there is nothing in the Juniors' toilets. They are told that when they are having a period, they can use the female teachers' toilets. I think that must be awful for them.
At my daughter's school I have seen no sanitary bins in two out of three of the sets of toilets I have used. So, if there is any provision, it is only in the one set - and my daughter tells me there is not a sanitary disposal bin in there either.
I plan to ask asap.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Hi Ed's mum,
When my DS was inY6 we thought her periods were imminent as she was very well developed ( underarm hair, pubic hair and boobs!) but she held out until first term of secondary school. However in her Y6 class 7 girls had already started and they did have blue sanitary towel bins in the Junior's toilets.
As girls are starting earlier all the time they definitely should have the bins in Y6 .
zorro

Post by zorro »

Of course I meant DD !!
It's the stress of getting ready to go back to school tomorrow!
Not looking forward to getting up at 06.00 !
Plus I had to sit through High School Musical 3 this afternoon!!
Good Luck to everyone returning to school tomorrow.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Zorro - you can edit after you post ...

I knew several girls at school with me who started periods at Junior school - so schools really should have some facilities. I think many girls are embarrassed if they start so early so it should be made easy for them.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

I am feeling really old now. I had never heard of periods at primary school, and only knew one girl who with the benefit of hindsight was probably developed enough to have started. Even in the first year at secondary school (when I did get to hear about such things :oops: ) very few girls seemed to have started, and the teachers were always very sceptical when they tried to get out of swimming for that reason.
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Girls are definitely maturing earlier... my daughter's friend started aged 9 in yr 4! Several other girls in year 6 with her now have started and most are still aged 10.

I must say that when my daughter started in the summer and we informed the school at the start on Sept they were very helpful pointing out which toilets had the disposal bins and also where in the deputy's office a supply of pads could be found, if needed. The 2 staff members we spoke to also both mentioned their own experience when they had started which made my daughter feel much more comfortable about the whole thing.

It was dealt with in a very sensitive and caring way and I'm sure hepled my daughter to accept what was happening to her.
Wallasey

Post by Wallasey »

In a bookshop a couple of years ago, I found a book about puberty called 'Girls Only! All about periods and growing-up stuff' which I pointed out to my then 9 year old DD. I asked her if she'd like me to get it for her. 'No' she said, and continued her search for books she liked. I followed her around with it for a while, but she wouldn't discuss it. In the end I bought it anyway and put it in her room, where it was ignored for a few months.

One day, in the queue at the Post Office, she suddenly said 'Do you know there's lots of other words for period?', followed by loud descriptions of bits of the book! I was one of those hilarious moments that make you so glad to be a parent!

Anyway, for anyone looking for a book for their DD, we can recommend this one. It's written so well for young girls with a great mix of physical, emotional and social information.
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

We have been waiting for our daughter to start her periods for years! We were told she had entered early puberty at age 8 and have had all the physical and emotional signs since then but nothing at age 11 and 3/4.
We bought this book which we read together initially and then on her own as time has passed and she has found it easy to understand and relate to.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Whats-Happening ... 972&sr=8-1
They also do a boys version of this book
Initially she was disturbed that she would be the odd one in her class but with lots of support and knowing that everything was 'ready' ie pads in school bag, sanitary bins in yr6 toilets, teachers aware she is now disappointed that it didn't happen to her as other girls beat her too it!

reddebs
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now