Selection at non-selective???

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mike1880

Selection at non-selective???

Post by mike1880 »

Does anyone know what the procedure should be if you think a non-selective school might be applying a selection process? I was at one of the schools on our list this week, specifically chosen because we wanted a couple of non-selectives amongst our preferences as a fall-back, and something the head said - the audience was perhaps a little broader based than he thought - made the alarm bells ring. I don't have any evidence, and I may simply be reading too much into his choice of words.

It's complicated by the fact that I'm 99% certain from what he was saying that our son won't be offered a place there. If I do choose to report it, would it be best to do it now before official notification, or after that, or after March when we have whatever offer we get (which I sincerely hope is higher on the list than this one because it's the last one on our list)? I don't want it to look like sour grapes - while I like the school, I'm in two minds about whether it would be remotely appropriate for our son (and if what I think might be happening is happening, I'm 100% sure it wouldn't be!).

Sorry for the rambling, I'm finding this a bit worrisome. Any advice, anyone?

Mike
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I'm dying to know what was said! :wink: I would do it now if you're comfortable ruling it out because it can look like sour grapes afterwards.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Mike

I agree with Tipsy. Call your LA's Admissions Department now, and don't leave it until March. Make sure that you are talking to someone who knows what they are doing and report what the Head has said in a non-confrontational way.

Keep careful notes of all contact you have with the LA, and confirm everything by email with them, even if they don't reply. It could all be evidence for an Appeal.

If you would like to PM me with the details of what the Head actually said, and the name of the school, I may be able to comment further.

Sally-Anne
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Thanks, Sally-Anne, I'll send you a pm. I suspect it will look rather weak and paranoid when I put it in black and white, but if so it's as well to realise that before causing trouble!

Tipsy, if I say anything at all it will be possible to work out which school I'm talking about.

[edit - pm now sent, Sally-Anne]
Mike
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now