Tiffin School

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

notsgink

Tiffin School

Post by notsgink »

I think Tiffin Boys School is a great school, indeed an excellent school. Schools like Tiffin cater for boys who are bright and intelligent. The boys who get in are in the top 5% in the IQ range. Given the current financial crisis that the school is now in, and the sudden departure of the incumbent headmaster, then what type of head should this good grammar school now have to uphold and maintain its fine academic reputation and sporting prowess?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

all sorts of thoughts go through my mind!!!

Sometimes I think anyone who wants to do such a job must be slightly -ahem - crackers?? Why take on so much angst and intrigue and stress when there are plenty of other places to work (and live).

Whoever they go for I hope they don't pinch any of the heads from other equally good grammar schools around the country!!!!
notsgink

Appointing a new Headmaster

Post by notsgink »

Well Hermanmunster I doubt pinching will happen. The post will be advertised in the TES, and interested candidates will apply. So if the job is offered to say a head of another grammar school then it is down to the decision of that individual to accept or not. If they do then it is not pinching is it? The likelihood is that all applicants will be from the ranks of deputy heads aspiring to headship as the next step in their career. If you think that someone wanting to be a head of a school has to be crackers then you must believe it so for all heads and principals of every school, in which case then why have you bothered to register with this forum as it is about discussing serious educational issues?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That's a bit blunt!

I think hermanmunster's post was in jest -

I think given the circumstances someone going for the job in the current climate would need to be careful and be sure that they could cope with the pressure.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I agree I thought HermannMunsters post was tongue in cheek .

also I don;t think a high profile appointment for a school like Tiffin Boys is a first headship post.
I would expect that they would be looking for an experienced head.
notsgink

Post by notsgink »

So what type of person should Tiffin Boys Grammar School have? A modeniser or conservative? An administrator or a visionary? Who?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Someone that can put up with pushy parents who have no sense of humour! :wink: :lol:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yes notsgink it was as my forum friends point out entirely tongue in cheek!
I'm well aware of how headmasters are appointed I am also well aware of how headhunting goes on especially when they don't get the people they want applying first time round. It is flattering to be headhunted and that is why it works.
Also they may have specific requirements this time as the school is clearly in need of a troubleshooter - hence the reason I think the may go for a head of one of the similar succesful grammar schools - on this occasion it may be not "suitable for a first headship"

Why did I register ?? because it is useful to get support from others in the same boat, equally sometimes we can (hopefully) give support to others and finally because we occasionally need to see the funny side of things and stop people getting too worked up.

Now ... I'm orf to Rehab 'cos I've heard that the chocolate wizard has been out again trying to cheer everyone up before March
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

A few words from you, herman, are like a tonic ....:D
Etienne
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Bit like our GP - my 2.5 year old keeps on telling me he cured her by saying hello and giving her a tickle.

Maybe they could go outside the ranks of headmasters/headmistresses in their search for a great leader.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now