Spelling Tests

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T-4-2

Post by T-4-2 »

Tracey, how about suggesting to the teacher that at some point before the end of this term she gives ALL of the kids the same spelling test on a selection of the words they have learnt so far this year. Then, if your DD does well in that test, and on a par with others in the top group, you have grounds to ask for her to be moved into the top group.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Well it's open evening soon so spelling tests will be discussed. :wink:
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

You are spot on there Mummog. U is actually the same sound as ee in english. In welsh they have u(ee) cwpan and i (ee )dot. Also there are no blends etc. DS1 was struggling to write the word soon recently because he wanted to put a w in it, w is an oo sound. I think the school under estimated the differences because both boys are first language english and were fluent readers.

I agree weekly spelling tests are a waste. The test I was referring to was to find out what sort of level the child is at in spelling i.e no words to learn just a blind test. I still haven't found out what it was as the class teacher I saw, joys of team teaching grrh, didn't know either.

I did get some joy though and he know has a program to work through at his own pace which will hopefully introduce him to the spelling pattern work he has missed :) .
mummog

Post by mummog »

Hi Tolstoy

By the way, 'know' has a long 'o' sound, as in blow, whereas 'now' has a short vowel sound, as in plough. I think you meant to use the latter :)
Who is it who needs spelling tests!

mummog
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

:oops: that is what happens when you rush out without proof reading what you've written. You wouldn't believe how many edits my posts get and I was stumped the other day when someone replied before I could do the editing :wink:

Yes son unfortunately takes after DM not DF and possibly DA whose spelling is even worse than mine. Obviously genetic :roll:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now