Doing Anything Special for End of Year Leaving Do?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Snowdrops

Doing Anything Special for End of Year Leaving Do?

Post by Snowdrops »

At dd's school it is up to the parents to organise an end of year leaving do.

Some years they have one, some years they don't. This year we are having one - because I'm involved, along with a couple of other parents, I want dd to remember here school days.

Does your school/pta organise anything and if so, what?
zorro

Post by zorro »

Last year my DS's class organised a Prom.
They had a disco and had to dress up. They got a photographer to take official photos and we presented the Head, Deputy Head and the 2 job-share Y6 teachers with bouquets of flowers.
Each child received a mug with the class photo on it plus abottle of fake champagne (apple juice ) with a special commemorative label and an autograph book to get all their classmates autographs and contact details.
It was a lovely and very emotional occasion!
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Usually arranged by school... A fair to raise money; all attractions made and run by yr6, quite a few trips to local venues. In the last week, an end of year leavers play and the highlight a leavers disco. All after SAT's week in May.
zorro

Post by zorro »

We organised and paid for the prom - a contribution or £20 from each child and the school organised bowling trip and Pizza Hut.
Also as school is C/E we had a lovely leavers service in church in which each child read a piece of poetry/creative writing about heir memories of the school and their friends. Each child was presented with a bible by the vicar - many tears were shed!!! :cry:
mummog

Post by mummog »

Zorro,

I know what you mean - 'One more step along the world I go' gets me going every time!

Mummog x
cinnamon

Post by cinnamon »

Our Year 6s are fortunate enough to have a positive whirlwind of activities during the last 6 weeks of term:
9-day trip to an adventure centre in France; back at school they put on a musical involving the entire year; there's a 'celebration evening' which is quite formal, the head talks about how much they've all achieved and a celebrity presents them all with an atlas or similar; a disco one evening and a day at Chessington World of Adventures.

Don't know about the children, the parents certainly find it exhausting but it provides a fantastic and varied set of memories to end their primary school years with. Some events are organised by school, others are a collaboration between staff and parents which works very well.

And after the final morning of term there's an informal picnic at a local park which most of the school attends, along with assorted staff, siblings and dogs!
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

A leavers’ assembly which is devised by the children rather than the teachers (as per the usual assemblies) and has most of the mums – and some of the dads – in tears. Traditionally all the children sign each other’s (white) school shirt.

Plus a prom very similar to the one zorro describes.
zorro

Post by zorro »

We had the signing of white school shirts too!
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

Last year, my son and the whole year 6 class had a fun day at the local adventure centre ( rock climbing, canoeing, team building etc....) in the morning. Then, we had a class picnic in the local country park in the afternoon.

The events were organized by a group of y6 parents. My husband and I took a lot of photos of the events for that special day. Then we put the photos in a CD and gave each child as a leaving do present.

Everyone involved seemed to enjoy that memorable day!!

BTW, we did ask permission from the parents for taking the photos .
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

For the memento, they don't do the signing of white school shirts. The school print and give each yr6 child a T.Shirt. These have the school logo on and are printed with all the names of the children in yr6. These are usually handed out just after the leavers service.