Clothes for teenage boys!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
chad

Post by chad »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:
Have you tried River Island
Huh! All that work trying to adhere to forum rules and the mod drops in real names! :evil: :wink:
LOL! It is just too late.......and I really couldn't get my brain to work out a code for RI .... Stream Isle???????
.... and anyhow since Sally(Shewhomustbeobeyed)-Anne started the thread ...and used the correct names....it must be OK :wink:
sycamore

Re: Clothes for teenage boys!

Post by sycamore »

Sally-Anne wrote:DS2 is 11 and not yet hugely demanding on the clothing front, but all our stalwart clothing suppliers - Gap, Next, M&S, Mackays - are no longer "cool" because of the logos.

DS1 is 14, and TopMan has been deemed "unacceptable" for unspecified reasons. Ditto all the above sources.
I fear your sons are now the age where it's not the case that 'logos' aren't cool, but that they want the 'right logos'. :roll:

Unless they've gone all skinnyblackjeansblackhairdyeandastupidfringe I'd suggest looking at Animal, O Neill, Ripcurl, Quiksilver etc. Anything that looks 'surf n skate' would normally fit the bill.

There are loads of websites out there, I've found it helpful to have a look online before we go shopping so that I know what DD wants and she knows I'm not prepared to pay £40+ for a hoodie.

The TKJumble sale is great for bargains but is never to be attempted on a Saturday. Our most successful shopping trips have been on TD days. :D
solimum

Post by solimum »

How about Fat Face ( if you catch them on a sale day!) especially for jumpers/ sweatshirts which seem to survive endless washing/ handing down. Do BHS still do relatively innocuous basics? I agree with others who say you've probably got to go with the surfing/ outdoor labels (animal, billabong etc). What a shame Free Spirit has closed as it had a wide range to choose from

It is a tricky time for boys -(girls seem to have a much wider range of in-between aged clothes before they move into New Look) .... But at least once they've found something they like they will happily wear it indefinitely.....
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Sally-Anne

I gave up shopping for my boys at approx 12/13.

If they were with me, they would point out clothes they liked, we would buy.

If they were in need of a new wardrobe [growing boys] I would give them the money with strict instructions on what they needed to buy eg, 2 pairs of jeans 6 T shirts 2 hoodies etc etc. They had to keep the receipts and show mummy when they got home. In the beginning I would give them the lecture on trust, ie money for clothes only.

The only clothes I buy without them present is pants and socks!

Patricia
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

same here patricia!

although mine has now gone fussy over pants..
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Poor Tipsy - all that subterfuge gone to waste. :lol: It is OK to post things like names of famous books, high street stores, really well-known stuff. It's just creepy links that are usually a problem.

Some good suggestions all - please keep them coming!

I don't actually shop for them (I stopped doing that a couple of years ago), but with them either in tow or wandering off on their own to browse. I usually try to take them out separately to minimise the boredom factor.

The problem has been where to go in the first place, given that all the shops we have used until now are no longer "cool". None of us are "born shoppers", so when we do go shopping we have to have a target list of shops, and the thought of tackling either the nearest big high street or shopping centre with no sense of where to start fills me with total dread!!

Then again, maybe I should send them into TKMaxx on a Saturday for a couple of hours. By the time they've done that, they might not be so darn fussy about M&S. :lol:

(No, I couldn't do it to them really ... honestly ... could I?)
All Too Much

Post by All Too Much »

My DSs just buy everything in JDSports and Topman. 15 yr old will not wear smart trousers - jeans and jogging bottoms being the only option.

Republic an alternative.

As for asking him to step inside Primark (and that's without it being for him) - just not cool !!!!

18 yr old DD is so much easier to please. I can occasionally pick up things for her and 99% of the time she is happy with it. Wouldn't dare try that with the boys.
All Too Much
dan-the-man

Bhs

Post by dan-the-man »

I think there is something called "Flipback" in BHS for 8-16 yr olds - I have never been in but according to relatives it is quite good for teenage boys... It might be worth trying...
Dan-The-Man
--------------------
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

12 year old DS now refuses to wear Next stuff that I have been buying since he was born(usually queuing at 5am at the sale too!).All his stuff is either sports wear-rugby tops,cricket etc or designers from debenhams is usually acceptable-John Rocha,Jasper Conran,and quiksilver and animal are also popular.

When I was 12 I was lucky to even get new clothes-how times change....

GM
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Have you got a "designer outlet village" nearby? They tend to have all the popular names as seen advertised by teens everywhere.
They are usually a fraction of the cost as they are from the previous season, they are also much quieter than a city centre with lots of parking.

Another good option is a catalogue, they have all the brands teens love and your first order usually comes with 20% off your total bill. Just make sure you pay the full amount when the bill arrives as the interest is usually high.
That way you are not struggling through crowds and can you can browse at your and their leisure. Also if they like something you don't, you can always play the out of stock card.. :wink:

Failing that I will take all your teens shopping, I was born to shop! :wink:
It's usually the children who get bored before I do.. :roll:

AM