Choosing GCSE's

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Goodbyekitty

Re: Choosing GCSE's

Post by Goodbyekitty »

Daogroupie wrote:Both my dds loved GCSE Music and both went on to do A level Music and both are involved with choirs at University.

GCSE Music was a real passport for them. I would recommend it. DG
That's great to hear Daogroupie.
They must be really love their music. Are they taking anything music related at university?
rala

Post by rala »

Is there a minimum number of subjects typically taken in GCSE?
Also if there an advantage (in Uni admissions) of taking 11 or more GCSE subjects?
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

I don't think there is any advantage in taking more than 11! DD has 8 and got offers from all 5 universities she applied to - 4 Russell Group and 1 well respected in her subject. She also spoke to Oxford who said they were happy with 8 (but she didn't apply so will never know whether it would have worked against her) - ditto Durham (again she didn't apply)
rala

Post by rala »

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, @2childmum. I have not studied in this country so I am trying to get my head around the system to help my children.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

At our boys' grammar they all do 11, with everyone taking maths, English, English Lit, physics, chemistry, biology, short course RE and either French or German. So they only have three other choices. Son #1 wants to do history, geography and drama. The head said some of the girls' schools do 13, but that does seem a lot.
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Do you know any girls schools that still do 13 GCSEs since they were reformed? I know some schools used to do 13 but that was when you could sit a few early, in year 10. Not to mention that previously the GCSEs had more coursework and not everything loaded on exams. 13 seems a bit unnecessary these days.

Edited to add: I’ve done a recce of some of the high achieving girls schools and they seem to be mostly doing 10-11. I’m curious to find out if any schools are still doing 13 as standard.

Edited for grammar
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

PerpetualStudent wrote:Do you know any girls schools that still do 13 GCSEs since they were reformed? I know some schools used to do 13 but that was when you could sit a few early, in year 10. Not to mention that previously the GCSEs had more coursework and not everything loaded on exams. 13 seems a bit unnecessary these days.

Edited to add: I’ve done a recce of some of the high achieving girls schools and they seem to be mostly doing 10-11. I’m curious to find out if any schools are still doing 13 as standard.

Edited for grammar
Apologies, just saw your post - I really don't know, sorry, just quoting the head. Perhaps he was thinking of the days when some could be done early too.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now