Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Organisation
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:49 am 

My DD is somewhat disorganised and I am wondering how I can help her to ensure she has all the correct books etc to take to school each day. I don't want to be checking her bag each day, but equally I don't really want to just leave her to it. I didn't have any help to set up a system when I was at secondary and I think I would have benefited from one.
What I am thinking of is an expanding file with a section for each subject, in the hope that it will help her keep everything together. Does anyone have any good systems that they would advise using? Or anything that didn't work? I know the pile of jumbled up books on a shelf method didn't work for me!
I'm planning on her having the timetable in her room, on the fridge, in her pocket and bag and on her phone, but it's what to do with the books/papers etc that aren't needed that day that I'm thinking about.

Post subject: Re: Organisation
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:11 pm 

Plastic wallets. Sturdy ones, one for each subject. Exercise book, text book plus any handouts. Better than the expanding wallet, as all they do is pick the correct wallets up and stick in their bag.

Also protects against rain, leaking water bottles, food gunkā€¦

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:46 pm 

Brilliant, thank you :) I hadn't thought about her just picking up the whole pack, and the water-resistance / ability to be cleaned is a big added bonus!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:05 pm 

Mine used the sturdy plastic wallets too. We bought them in Ryman's and they lasted really well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:24 pm 

We used these and many years later they are still going strong & are used for other things now. Foolscap is a good size as it is slightly bigger than A4, although we had A3 ones too.
The DCs wrote the subject in black marker and also had a variety of colours to distinguish them. Let's say that the DC without ADD got the most out of them, whereas those with probably needed them more :lol:
DD was at a school where they weren't allowed to carry their bags around during the day so she had to use them while she was at that school.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:46 pm 

Thank you all, this is exactly what I was hoping for.