Organisation

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2Socks

Organisation

Post by 2Socks »

My DD is somewhat disorganised and I am wondering how I can help her to ensure she has all the correct books etc to take to school each day. I don't want to be checking her bag each day, but equally I don't really want to just leave her to it. I didn't have any help to set up a system when I was at secondary and I think I would have benefited from one.
What I am thinking of is an expanding file with a section for each subject, in the hope that it will help her keep everything together. Does anyone have any good systems that they would advise using? Or anything that didn't work? I know the pile of jumbled up books on a shelf method didn't work for me!
I'm planning on her having the timetable in her room, on the fridge, in her pocket and bag and on her phone, but it's what to do with the books/papers etc that aren't needed that day that I'm thinking about.
Tinkers

Re: Organisation

Post by Tinkers »

Plastic wallets. Sturdy ones, one for each subject. Exercise book, text book plus any handouts. Better than the expanding wallet, as all they do is pick the correct wallets up and stick in their bag.

Also protects against rain, leaking water bottles, food gunk…
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

Brilliant, thank you :) I hadn't thought about her just picking up the whole pack, and the water-resistance / ability to be cleaned is a big added bonus!
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Mine used the sturdy plastic wallets too. We bought them in Ryman's and they lasted really well.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

We used these and many years later they are still going strong & are used for other things now. Foolscap is a good size as it is slightly bigger than A4, although we had A3 ones too.
The DCs wrote the subject in black marker and also had a variety of colours to distinguish them. Let's say that the DC without ADD got the most out of them, whereas those with probably needed them more :lol:
DD was at a school where they weren't allowed to carry their bags around during the day so she had to use them while she was at that school.
scary mum
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

Thank you all, this is exactly what I was hoping for.
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

Tinkers wrote:Plastic wallets. Sturdy ones, one for each subject. Exercise book, text book plus any handouts. Better than the expanding wallet, as all they do is pick the correct wallets up and stick in their bag.

Also protects against rain, leaking water bottles, food gunk…
This is what DD's school have asked us to get in the list of required items.
galentina

Post by galentina »

Hi,
I also used zipped robust bags for each subject and found a box which would fit all these bags (the bags 'grow' towards the end of the year!)
Place it on the floor next to where she puts her schoolbag. It worked for my child.
Another trick I used - as soon as her timetable is known, I would print it as a large table on A4 and colour in (background for each block) with different colours for different subjects, pin it to the wall above the box with folders - in this way just glancing at this timetable she will know what to take with her.
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Yes we used plastic wallets here too & they are still going strong :) I got a box for the wallets to be in when not in her rucksack so they don't end up all over the house. A good supply of glue sticks would be helpful too in my experience!

I also laminated a mini version of my DD's timetable to fit into her blazer pocket which also helped & had a version of that & the homework timetable on the fridge door too. Less needed now as more has gone online but still handy to not have to look at phone all the time (especially when phones are discouraged). It's useful to remind that for maths & science she will need her calculator & which days PE kit is needed on.

When DD started in year 7 for the first couple of weeks I helped make sure she had what she needed & then gradually stepped away. Now it's a case of reminding / nagging her to pack the bag...
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

Thank you all, we've bought wallets in different colours, and now she's chosen the colours for each subject and we've colour-coded her timetable. I'll be badgering her / checking her bag for a few weeks (especially with the 2-week timetable) but I'm hopeful that it will be easier to start off with an organisation system than to try and learn one at a later stage!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now