Volcano geography project...HELP!!

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ed's mum

Volcano geography project...HELP!!

Post by Ed's mum »

I thought this had already been dealt with on the forum, but only found one reference to adding the dye to the bicarbonate of soda before adding the vinegar.

Has anyone got any ideas how to make this project that Ed is doing a little bit different from all the others? Including how to make the volcano and surrounds more interesting...

Any help most gratefully received!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/education/volcano/

Do a google search - there's lots of stuff - enjoy :lol: :lol:
Tattycoram

Post by Tattycoram »

Why waste your time on a school project? In the end it will only come down to a clear pencil case and a desk with a test paper in front of you. Why waste anyones time on this, the teacher will like it but it doesn't matter what the teacher likes at the end of the exams. In that exam room they will not be bringing in a box of paints and bicarbonate of soda to make a volcano in a geography test! If they do they will not get it marked as there is a marks scheme that does not include paint, as sad as it is that a lot of work is just jumping through hoops now, it is the truth. Even if it was not jumping through hoops it could even be worse just painting. Cross curricular studies do not seem to make art an academic subject but serve instead to make academic subjects into painting and sticking.
Tattycoram
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Tattycoram wrote:Why waste your time on a school project? In the end it will only come down to a clear pencil case and a desk with a test paper in front of you. Why waste anyones time on this, the teacher will like it but it doesn't matter what the teacher likes at the end of the exams. In that exam room they will not be bringing in a box of paints and bicarbonate of soda to make a volcano in a geography test! If they do they will not get it marked as there is a marks scheme that does not include paint, as sad as it is that a lot of work is just jumping through hoops now, it is the truth. Even if it was not jumping through hoops it could even be worse just painting. Cross curricular studies do not seem to make art an academic subject but serve instead to make academic subjects into painting and sticking.
Oh dear.You are young and yet so cynical :cry:
Some students would enjoy making the volcano and it would brighten up what would otherwise be a bit of a "dry" project for some.
What do you like to do in school and what kind of school do you go to :?:
Tattycoram

Post by Tattycoram »

School is for learning the 'dry' subjects and home is for enjoyment. If they want to make volcanoes I am not stopping them in their own time, I would merely say that other less enthusiastic peoples time should not be wasted on what is essentially a fun art project. Besides, if it is a boring subject why not get it over with and move on instead of spreading it out longer? :!: :?: :!:
If we concentrated on academic subjects, we could at our school cut two days off the school week and probably fit more learning in if we only learnt in this time instead of doing 'fun activities'.
Yes, I am cynical and I do not think this is a bad thing, at least I will not follow like a sheep.
Tattycoram
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Tattycoram wrote:School is for learning the 'dry' subjects and home is for enjoyment

If we concentrated on academic subjects, we could at our school cut two days off the school week and probably fit more learning in if we only learnt in this time instead of doing 'fun activities'.

Yes, I am cynical and I do not think this is a bad thing, at least I will not follow like a sheep.
Hi TC, yes definitely better to have your own mind about things than follow the flock.
It seems a shame that from your first statement that " home is for enjoyment" that you imply you don't enjoy any of your lessons. :(
There are lots of teachers on this site.Why don't you tell them what would make your school experience more enjoyable.
It would be very interesting to hear your point of view.
Tattycoram

Post by Tattycoram »

I would enjoy the subjects if I learnt anything other than how to be politically correct in them, for example, I would rathjer learn about inspirational pieces of literature than the book we are having to read at the moment. I like the school holidays which seem to be part of school as much as any school day with the amount of work some schools set over the holidays, for example a summer diary for the entire summer at my old school. I also enjoy the week ends which are quite out of proportion compared to the school week. I would enjoy lunch times and breaks with my friends but I would rather invite them round to my house and have relaxed fun instead of more 'school fun'. In my opinion 'fun at school' is a bit of an oxymoron!
Some people will probably say that I should enjoy school subjects such as FT, DT and PE but I have worked out that if you cut out all these useless subjects I could have 2 days a week extra off in which I would learn much more watching half an hours worth of news or making food at home than I would otherwise learn at school doing these useless subjects.
Tattycoram
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I sense the style of a poster we all love - fly hence you troll :lol: :lol:

How on earth can you know what knowledge will be useful in your life?

Problem solving - a key skill when making a volcano - will be very useful I can assure you! :D :D :D
Miss Magwich

Post by Miss Magwich »

In what way is problem solving involved with making a volcano? It's the sort of thing I did when I was seven. Very fun and enjoyable but not the thing that's going to give us outstanding life skills. I agree that problem solving can be very useful in life but if making a volcano is a problem for somebody then they are unlikely to get very far in life at all.
:) Miss Magwich :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You miss my point entirely -

To make a volcano you have to work out a lot of problems e.g. How do I make a 3-D shape that looks right? How can I simulate lava flow? Which colours look right? How can I make sure I can transport it without it erupting on the bus?

Knowledge is not just the accumulation of facts that interest you -
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now