CAT tests in yr 7

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

observer

CAT tests in yr 7

Post by observer »

Hello all,
DD has CAT tests coming up soon....
I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on these for me please?...They never did them at DD's primary school....I have heard they are similar to the 11+, but if that is the case, why don't the schools look at the 11+ scores instead of making them do more tests?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

My DD is doing them next week (as far as I know she never did them in primary).

From the letter we have received they contain: verbal, non-verbal and quantitative tests which will show their current performance, as opposed to the 11+ which shows their potential future performance (I think I've gotten that right :shock: ).

Anyhow, three mornings of 30 minute tests + 25 minutes for organisation, all fitted into the normal school day.
honscupboard

Post by honscupboard »

My DCs have done these this week and said how similar to VR and NVR they were. Maths was same standard as SATS. Only tip would be (as cannot go into detail for those who have not done them yet) to wear a watch as mine finish the 11+ papers with loads of time to spare, but CATS they both were close to the time limit. DD noted that these tests also published by NFER
honscupboard

Post by honscupboard »

Sorry - should have explained - mine are doing the 12+ - that is how they are in year 7 but not yet sat grammar entry.
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

My son did his CATs last week - said it was very similar to the 11 plus exams i.e the VR and NVR aspects. The whole thing took a morning.
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Of course since the results are just used for the school to track future progress, it would almost appear sensible not to do too brilliantly in this year 7 test or the expectation for future assessment is so high!
I shall certainly be telling my DS not to panic if he doesnt finish and go at his own pace to get a true reflection of his ability.
Now he is at Grammar school, the panic is over somewhat :D
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Unless, like DD's school, you need to reach a certain level to get into 6th form :shock:
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Dont need to worry in year 7 though snowdrops!! :shock:
alexandra6

Post by alexandra6 »

My dd's school used the CATS tests in Y7 to pick out some pupils for the gifted and talented register. This is then flagged up to the appropriate subject teachers so that they can make sure those pupils are stretched in relevant subject(s). Others are added to the G&T register as time goes by in subjects not covered by CATS, art or ICT for example.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now