Attitude

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Oh, Cannucks, I've got one of those - angel at school/devil at home. He's 13. Last week he went to a sleepover. I picked him up at midday, he ate lunch and went sraight to bed cos he was soooooo tired. He slept til 10pm! Then he got up, shouted at me and stropped around the house cos he'd missed his rugby club's Halloween party and it was all MY FAULT, then went back to bed and slept through. Now I'd gone up at hourly intervals throughout the afternoon and evening, put lights on, pulled his duvet off, shouted in his ear that he would miss his party if he didn't get up etc etc. :? What's a mum to do?
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

haha BexleyMum2.....doesn't matter what we do......does it? At least they know how to behave when at school......it shows they really do know right from wrong, and sooner or later, he'll realise that it's easier just to behave at home as well - and alot of the times he does!
He lost his temper tonight though on a school bus returning from an after school club that has just started - another kid called him a 'Canadian prat', and this upset him, so he lost his temper and screamed right in the kids face. There was issues about this before (comments obviously repeated from an adult about no more room here for immigrants, blah blah blah - funnily, I was born here though hmmm) and the child was told he'd be suspended if it happened again. Hmmmm, the trip organiser said she would speak to the headteacher tomorrow. My son had made his ID card for the club they are going to and had used a Canadian hockey team logo for the picture - hence the 'canadian' comments being made to him. All it took to get a smile on his face though was 'he called you a Canadian brat? Well, just you be a damned proud one'. His horns receeded......
Louise2

Post by Louise2 »

I had to smile when I read your post as I am mum to 4 girls and going through exactly what you say. My new thing is blocking facebook much to their complete horror, firstly they are shocked that I managed to do it and now they are horrified that I am not changing it. As to the skirt situation, you can always tell what year the girls are in because the further up the school they go the shorter the skirts get and the smaller the bags get. So now we are in years 10 and 11 the skirts look more like belts and a small handbag from Topshop is now the school bag. Gone is that lovely long skirt I bought at the start of year 7 and the very large plain black rucksack, never to be seen again.
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

I'm getting loads of ear ache at the moment cos my year 7 DS wants to buy the new Call of Duty game which has an 18 rating and I have said no. Apparently he won't be popular anymore and everyone will think he's a baby :roll:
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Size of bag - so true. My daughter had a practical rucksack to start Year 7 - it made it through half a term. We started this term with a tiny bag - even she has now admitted defeat in trying to squash her books into it and has returned to the purchase for last term. Seems to be a bag a term - her pocket money!
zorro

Post by zorro »

Rugbymum,
Me too with Y8 DS! I have agreed to rent it so that I can see how bad it is before he buys it. But I'm not keen at all - the last one was bad enough! :roll:
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Rugbymum wrote:I'm getting loads of ear ache at the moment cos my year 7 DS wants to buy the new Call of Duty game which has an 18 rating and I have said no. Apparently he won't be popular anymore and everyone will think he's a baby :roll:
This is a big parent issue and probably the biggest selling game since the aweful Grand Theft Auto (that is banned in our house).

DS1 Y9 chose it as one of his birthday presents in August as a pre-order with hindsight he did that to get away from my objections.

I have heard in discussions elsewhere :) that apart from one scene the game is rated 15.

In my opinion games and films ratings do not match, so I have allowed DS1 to play it. DS2 has also played and DD wanders around shouting 'good head shot' :cry: and I am the worst parent in the world.

The only comfort I take is that I know what my kids are doing and so I can manage the situation. :)

steve
doodles

Post by doodles »

Freya, love the idea of pre-empting the hissy fit. Only years 6 and 3 at the moment but will certainly keep that one up my sleeve. Sounds quite liberating too.

More seriously, apparently I was pretty horrible to live with between ages 14-16, not behaviour but mood, and I think I am pretty normal now. If we all look back we were all probably less than pleasant at sometime in the teenage years.

I do love this forum - it makes me realise I am not alone and that actually most of us have the same worries and anxieties.
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

stevew61 wrote:
In my opinion games and films ratings do not match, so I have allowed DS1 to play it. DS2 has also played and DD wanders around shouting 'good head shot' :cry: and I am the worst parent in the world.

The only comfort I take is that I know what my kids are doing and so I can manage the situation. :)

steve
Pretty much the same in our household, my DS is hoping for this for Xmas (except DS normally whoops my a** at pretty much every game out there)
"We've got a date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
Louise2

Post by Louise2 »

I thought it was bad enough with a house full of girls. At least I don't have to worry about games like that. Makes me feel much better as I thought a house full of boys would be much easier, maybe not.