Attitude

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

DS is off school today having thrown up all over our bedroom floor at 04:00 and is currently saving the world in Halo ODST-head shots galore!!!
School rules state he has to be off for 48 hours after any illness- needless to say he is feeling absolutely fine :roll:
Still OH is at work,DD at school,I don't have to go back to work until Friday night...so quality time with DS(well maybe not quality,more a boys day in) :D
"We've got a date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Interested in the comments about game ratings. DS1 is 15 on Sunday and has optimistically circled a number of X-box games in the Game brochure and left it on my desk :roll:

He "really, really, really" wants the new Call of Duty game but I'm dithering as it's an 18. In recent years I've let him get 16s but always drawn the line at 18s. Trouble is, if I get it, I know his 11 year old brother will be breathing down his neck while he's playing on it. He's also circled Assassin's Creed II which is also an 18.

Any thoughts from those that know about these things?!!
Milla

Post by Milla »

Our DS1 (age 13, y8 ) is very keen to play Call of Duty – apparently “all his friends have itâ€
emsy

Post by emsy »

My husband plays these games and is very concerned when he hears of younger teenagers playing them. Many parents who would never allow their children to see an 18 film at the cinema will buy these games for them and the content will be the same level. They are designed with adults in mind.
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

There is a useful website - try googling parental guide to video games which explains the contents of a selected game so that you can decide if the game will be acceptable.

My year 7 son is allowed 12+ games and the occasional 15+ (as long as I have checked it out) - an adult friend who has bought the new Call of Duty tells us that it contains very intense violence, a lot of bad language and some scenes (e.g the airport one) are extremely disturbing. The graphics are so good which means its very realistic and also unlike films, video games are interactive which means these are more likely to have a negative impact on children's behaviour.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

..re different rules for electronic games comment by emsy.

One of DSs friend's parent frowned upon him joining an outside game of pretend war with dare I say it a plastic toy gun, round our house. (The boys now I am a pacifist and won't buy them but boys will be boys and the aquire or make their own)

It was ....' sorry but am really uncomfortable with him playing with guns' sort of comment

We were absolutely horrified when we found out the games our DS had been playing around his house on PC etc. All 18s and all very violent. Ds was only 11 plus they were being played at a party when our 6 year old was in the room until DH caused a riot dragging him out of there. At this point friend's mother show some :oops: about the fact that the games may be a tad in appropriate :roll:

These were educated people and they just don't get the irony.
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

To be entirely honest, I'm in two minds about Modern Warfare 2. DS and I have watched the trailers and he has played Call of Duty 2 and 3. He is a bright lad with his head screwed on and has a good sense of what is real and what isn't and he really wants this game. However the graphics are incredibly realistic.
I suspect I would have to actually play this myself before I would let him play it.
At the end of the day we all know our own children best and know how they would react.
"We've got a date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

MasterChief - we've seen the trailers (DS made us watch the trailers in his attempt to change our minds :lol: ) but unless you have played the whole game yourself you don't really know what it contains so its a good idea to play this yourself first. I would be interested to know your thoughts - my DS is also bright and sensible but then I feel the 18 age rating is there for a good reason...
Milla

Post by Milla »

it's up to individual parents mabye and i don't want to sound preachy, but I still think that things are 18 for a reason. One can stretch to a 15 from a 12 or 13 perhaps but to an 18??

I said to DS1, "how long do you bank on living?"
"til I'm about 90, maybe?" he said.
"And how long is it til you're 18?"
"5 years," he said.
"OK, then you've got over 70 years when you can play that game and 5 when you can't."

He was fine about it, actually. I really think, at the time, that he was almost pleased. Normally we're pretty liberal so he doesn't really push it when we're not, not really. And, whatever the maturity of the child or their awareness between reality and fantasy, it's still images in their heads which I, personally, don't want. He can't be 13 again and I don't think it's going to make him The Weird Kid having parents who say no now and again.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Also attended a child protection training meeting at our primary school recently.

Since baby P rules have changed and teachers will be liable if something happens and it transpires that they failed to report in-appropriate things happening at home.

This question of watching and veiwing 18's came up and we were told that it was not up to the teacher to make a judgement call as they would have in the past but to protect themselves as much as anything it should be reported.

Scary.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now