year 7 english marking

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hopeful5

Post by hopeful5 »

I didnt even know that there was an official 'marking policy'. Can parents ask to see it?
I agree with the two of you. I think what dc needs is more detailed analysis. I think though as a teacher do you think that this is quite hard to give this where the student is quite good? I know from having marked her stories from 11+ prep, it takes alot of time to digest and think of ways it could be improved.

DC, I have been told is working to higher level 6. How good that is I dont really know.
The head of year told me of the marking policy.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

hopeful5 wrote:I didnt even know that there was an official 'marking policy'. Can parents ask to see it?

You can always ask! I would aim to speak to the Head of English if I were you. I still can't believe that this is their actual policy and would be very interested in her/his reaction.

I think though as a teacher do you think that this is quite hard to give this where the student is quite good?
No, there's always room for improvement. As I mentioned before, you gear your comments to the level of the child and it's part of the teacher's job to do this! Of course it takes time and effort to do this well, but that's what they're there for....Gook luck.

I do think it's quite hard to give if you don't take in their exercise books though. :wink:
Amber

Post by Amber »

I would be surprised if the school did not have a written marking policy. If it is a state school, I think it is actually statutory (though could be wrong) - I have certainly seen them in all the schools I have worked in recently (I know because when you do supply, you have to see them and adhere to them). An indie school could theoretically do without, but most will have one, though having never taught in an indie, I don't know whether they would be written. Maybe someone else knows?

I do not think it is hard to give feedback to an able pupil - I have yet to encounter a Year 7 child so gifted at English that a teacher could not offer useful comments. The problem with plans and verbal feedback in class as a way of evaluating individuals is that in a class discussion, you can never be totally sure whose ideas are getting an airing and who is either keeping quiet or quickly editing what they have done, unless you are taping it to listen to later. As a teacher, you could only really evaluate one or 2 children effectively in a class discussion. If you never take the books in, how do you know what they have learned? As a teacher in this situation I would be afraid that I did not have a good idea about what my students were doing and what progress they were making. It would make it very hard to keep track of them.

If you want to check out where the school thinks your daughter is, look at the qca website to see the level descriptors for KS3. A quick glance at those would tell me that a level 6 in year 7 would be very good but not exceptional.

Hope this helps!
hopeful5

Post by hopeful5 »

I totally agree with your comments personally but the school doesnt see it your way :(

I will follow it up with the school next week. Tbey had a class assessment last Friday and if they dont get a mark for it, I shall chase it and bring the whole matter up again.
hopeful5

Post by hopeful5 »

I found this thread on TES for English marking

http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/609 ... ageIndex=1

Opinions waver about marking but the overall view is that some feedback for recent work is a good thing and it is important for the student to know their targets.
londonbloke

Marking - general

Post by londonbloke »

Firstly, thanks to Hopeful5 for raising this important issue and to our two teachers for their interesting contributions so far.

I am a Maths and SEN Teacher and I support in some lessons as well. This allows me to work with teachers in many subjects and see how feedback/marking can help a student.

A parent is perfectly entitled to ask for the written policy per Department or for the whole school. Please remember, though, that many teachers in state schools have sets which cover a wide ability range. Teachers are also incredibly stretched and so they rightly focus on how to support, encourage and stretch each individual student. The most important thing is that you are satisfied that your DC is happy and being challenged.

My own practice? Students only notice the mark and not the comments - so I give marks only on formal tests. Our preferred approach now is to make a positive comment and to offer a challenge to lead the student to the next stage. We aim to give ongoing feedback in a variety of ways as covered by the other contributing teachers.

The very best feedback includes support and challenge at home.

LB
hopeful5

Post by hopeful5 »

Thankyou londonbloke,
I can see what you are saying also I would like to challenge dc to enter writing competitions unfortunately she is not very biddable!
we are going through eye rolling and scowling and that is on a good day!
However, when I look at the work she does at school for her teachers I think she would never ever do anything like that if I asked her.