Study Leave

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Denise

Study Leave

Post by Denise »

DS has school exams coming up and, as he is Year 10, they are a precursor to some GCSE modules that he will take in June.

The school sent home a permission slip for him to have study leave for all the half days next week when he has no exams - 4 in all.

Perhaps naively, I signed it to give my permission and sent it back. DS has now announced that if I expect him to actually study while on study leave I am barking up the wrong tree. "Everyone else will be going into town and playing on their X Boxes. You just don't get it. They're only school exams, they don't matter and I always get good results without revising anyway." (Not true at all in some subjects.)

I am sorely tempted to rescind the permission based on this attitude! :x

However, will that leave him as the only one at school? Does every child take study leave? Am I truly deluded to expect him to actually study whilst on study leave? Won't the kids who go into town risk getting picked up for truancy?

Any helpful thoughts based on your experience please? Thank you!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Not come across study leave for non GCSE / AS exams before :roll:
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

My first thought would be let him do as he wants for those 4 half days it's not actually a lot of time, in the hope that his results won't be what he expects them to be and that will make him actually study for his GCSE's. But, it could backfire horribly if he gets good results without studying, he then won't see the need to study for the "real thing" :?

I don't recall ever actually studying on study leave, but then again I was totally switched off at school and barely scrapped C's :oops:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10100;430/st/20100902/e/DD+Starts+Senior+School/dt/5/k/bbdb/event.png[/img]
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Mine have had study leave in year 10, as you have said it is only for a small amount of time. However i have always been quite strict, assuring my children that they would be at home revising during the time, otherwise they would stay at school to be supervised. Not sure that they did any work, but at least they weren't galavanting about with their friends. Round 1 to mum :lol:
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

I guess the school is introducing them to the concept of study time so they know how to use it wisely next year. It is a big step to learn the techniques of self study and revision. :shock: Having spent all day chasing DS1 to start planning revision for end of year tests I can see the problem.

In a similar vein my DS1 in year 9 announced he is looking forward to all the free periods in the sixth form. I explained they are study periods, you can use them to reduce the three hours a night homework load!!

I would explain the options with a heavy bias to using the time wisely. :wink:

steve
KB

Post by KB »

I think the schools do it to let them practice for the 'real' thing so I have always expected them to be at home 'studying'.

The school makes it very clear that if anyone is caught in town during study leave for school exams they will have their study leave cancelled immediately.

Apart from the opportunity to start good habits I would be concerned about them hanging about in town and the potential for 'trouble'.

We can't make them study but we can 'remove' other attractions :) I would 'negotiate' a certain amount of revision time each day when TV, computers etc are not allowed. I do also provide treats & TLC during exam time - I'm not just an ogre :)

I expect that if they are 'caught' in town they would be deemed to be truenting - I am sure the reason the school letter is worded as it is is in order to cover the school with regard to this aspect. So if DS is still arguing I would point out that you would be breaking the law if you allowed him to be in town when he should be at home studying & would be liable to prosecution.
Denise

Post by Denise »

KB wrote:So if DS is still arguing I would point out that you would be breaking the law if you allowed him to be in town when he should be at home studying & would be liable to prosecution.
I fear that right now the prospect of Mum being thrown in jail would be greeted with whoops of delight. :roll:

I like the idea of treats KB. The XBox has already gone for the duration of the exams, and the computer is password protected. I'm considering whether to password lock the telly as well now.
KB

Post by KB »

Probably be a fine which would mean having to stop pocket money/cancel Summer holiday.... :wink:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

hmm study leave..............

Miss yoyo used it to study (but then she is very strange) master Yoyo used it as an excuse to stay in bed all day
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Study leave even at GCSE, AS and A-level is only given if the school have good faith in the child to do some actual studying. If they believe a child is academically behind, they will not allow study leave and continue all progress at school.
Therefore answering your question; No, not everyone will be allowed study leave. If a parent asks that they stay in school this is also accommodated for.

Study leave is based on allowing senior children learn how to become 'Independent Learners'. Sadly, many may have a few lessons to learn on the way.

Perhaps ask him to create and provide you with a revision timetable for his study leave and let him know that you will monitor his progress by viewing evidence that it is being done on a daily basis.

or else....

all of the above!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now