General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Milla

when the school sends home a questionnaire

Post by Milla »

asking "how are we doing...?"
are you honest?
and when it says, in the little box for "extra comments" at the end, "do use a separate piece of paper if you need more room" - do you? of closely typed print, possibly running to 2 pages?
and do you ever regret it? or is it generally a wise and sensible thing to do? an opportunity you must grab to say A Thing Or Two.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I have never got that :cry: Is that for secondary school?

Maybe they just called it pass on me knowing they would have got more than they were bargaining for.

Is it annonymous?
Impossible is Nothing.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

It's supposed to be anonymous, but my dd's schools always ask for it to be handed in - now if the teacher/adminstrator reads it straight away they're going to know exactly who handed it in so it hardly makes it anonymous does it :shock:

With that in mind I always err on the side of caution and don't tell the whole nitty gritty truth when I really want to :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wimp or what?
mad?

Post by mad? »

I word it very carefully, as a governor I used to get to see them and so realised how phraseology can be everything. That said, DD2 in year 6 so this time I might really go for it!
mad?
Milla

Post by Milla »

I tried to be fair - yes it's a secondary school thing - and to give positive feedback as well as launching in :? since it's easy to forget the good things sometimes or take them for granted in pursuing some individual point. I tried to keep it "my son" rather than mentioning him by name although they will have to know which class has which questionnaire or the feedback on individual teachers will be meaningless. Just wondering, really, if the done thing is not to add extra thoughts, or whether adopting an idle "oh well, what difference does it make" attitude would be generally more sensible? My thinking was that it is an irrelevant exercise if they don't receive actual ideas / opinions. And it's no good grumbling :wink: if you don't take advantage of the official opportunities to pass comment.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

We have had them yearly for primary school.
I praise everything that can be praised and then tell the truth (nicely) as I see it about concerns I have.It's anonymous but I am sure they know its me. :oops: I always attatch an extra sheet of comments :lol: but I am affirming too.
How can they improve if they don't hear the truth?
Small example - It used to be the case that school councillors could be the same child from recepetion to year 6.This happened with one boy in particular.Nothing against him but he was the "leader of the pack" so got chosen every time.I suggested a two terms of office policy, so that more children could benefit from the experience and they changed the system, to two terms.
Sometimes schools have been doing things one way for so long that it helps to get feedback.
So my humble opinion affirm all that you can and tell the truth about the rest.
Milla

Post by Milla »

could rely on you, CM, to be sensible, nice and honest! Now worried I didn't praise enough! Actually, I did, and in the end I was so panicking at going overboard on my chief concern, that I didn't mention it at all. :cry:
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Never had one of those ... what fun I could have :twisted: :wink:
Heartmum x x x
Milla

Post by Milla »

that's the worry!!
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Milla wrote:that's the worry!!
:oops: ............................... :wink: :twisted:
Heartmum x x x