tests in Year 9?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sj355

SOSCA

Post by sj355 »

DS in Year 9 said that today there will be no lessons at school as most of the day will be spend taking online exams on Maths, Science and History. They have been told that this is for the education authority/government that wishes to survey the depth of knowledge of students. Has anyone else heard the same thing from their children at school regarding year 9?
sj355
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hi,
I have one in that year group.It was a normal day for her.Maybe a local initiative then?
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Chelmsford mum wrote:Hi,
I have one in that year group.It was a normal day for her.Maybe a local initiative then?
A mystery :shock: DS very pleased though because these tests do not count towards their end of year results and day is lesson free
sj355
zorro

Post by zorro »

Wouldn't most boys prefer a day of normal lessons to a day of exams? I know mine would! :roll:
sj355

SOSCA

Post by sj355 »

Mystery resolved: The test he took was in Maths, Science and Reading called :
SOSCA (Secondary On Screen Curriculum Assessments) is a suite of curriculum-based assessments designed to
measure pupil progress in Maths, Science and Reading at age 14 – Year 9/S2 (Year 10 in Northern Ireland). It offers
an efficient alternative to Key Stage 3 SATs and is administered via computer during a testing window in April/May each
year. The tests are adaptive, which means that pupils are presented with items suited to their ability and hence makes
for a more pleasant testing experience.
According to DS as the test progressed the questions became increasingly more challenging reaching extremely difficult towards the end. Interesting.
sj355
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now