Netbooks

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

They usually work on wireless connection. V keen to have one myself just not so keen to pay up for DD to have one!

re keyboards - have tried one yet but when I do on call GP work out of the ambulance car I have a small keyboards and amd alswya hatteng ther wong kees
doodles

Post by doodles »

Ok Ok you've lost me now - what is pay as you dongle?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

well - you can have dongles (PAYG or contract) which you can use outside - reception varies like mobile phones. Or you use netwbook with public or private wireless network.
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

I touch type very fast so I am sure I would be hitting the wrong keys!!
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

My son has a birthday coming up, and really wanted a laptop. I initially refused because I don't want him turning into someone who hides away on his laptop all day. Eventually though as he couldn't think of anything else he wanted I gave in and agreed to a netbook. However once we looked into it further, I realised that you can't put disks in a netbook so his school maths & science disks, he wouldn't be able to use on it, nor would it play music CDs or dvds. Its really only an enhanced typewriter with internet capabilities. So we gave in and got a laptop, hardly more expensive, but with more capability and use, I think. The size of the screen is probably a disadvantage, maybe causing future eyesight problems.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

LFH - they are basically all the reasons I bought DD a laptop 3 months ago. (and that I could have her old desktop to upgrade to use for myself....).
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Its really only an enhanced typewriter with internet capabilities

Noooooooo! You're all Luddites! :shock:

A netbook is capable of doing anything a laptop can. The lack of CD/DVD drive is to keep it small but it's not a limitation, you simply transfer CD's & DVD's to a usb flash drive.

The choice of which to get depends on what you want to use it for. If I need a mobile computer I use a netbook, laptops are far too unwieldy to cart around.

I'm a fan! 8)
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

mitasol wrote:
Its really only an enhanced typewriter with internet capabilities

Noooooooo! You're all Luddites! :shock:

A netbook is capable of doing anything a laptop can. The lack of CD/DVD drive is to keep it small but it's not a limitation, you simply transfer CD's & DVD's to a usb flash drive.

The choice of which to get depends on what you want to use it for. If I need a mobile computer I use a netbook, laptops are far too unwieldy to cart around.

I'm a fan! 8)

:oops: I had no idea you could use a flash drive , clot that I am :oops:
doodles

Post by doodles »

This info is brilliant thanks - will start looking. Really embarrassed at how little I know :oops:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

we are going to have them in the next lot of ambulance cars so can take them into the house etc. The are called tuff books - I wonder why :roll:

signed Herman, who managed to trip over the keyboard cable getting out of the car....[/list]