Any tips on improving English Writing Skills

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rob Clark

Re: Any tips on improving English Writing Skills

Post by Rob Clark »

It seemed a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut and I'm hoping that he'll see saw back a bit to what he was, leave some of the madness in there. Conforming to an adult ideal, and a dull ideal at that, can be a shame stripping children of what makes them them
Milla, I shouldn’t worry too much – if this is his style, he is always likely to retain some of it.

As a writer/editor myself, I can assure you that there is a huge difference between people who know and understand the rules but nevertheless choose to break them (sometimes? often? all the time!) for dramatic effect and those who just don’t understand them in the first place.

Those in the former category are likely to go far…
Milla

Post by Milla »

sherry_d wrote:Her English has been such a turnaround and 4 months ago she hated English.
I think that this is very telling. They change so much at this age and one thing which I am finally learning is that no stage is forever. There are peaks and dips and growths and plateaus and so on and suddenly they just "get it" - or not, as something else takes over.
Lovely to hear that your daughter's left the literary forays of Ms Price behind, Sherry!
And, yes, Rob. Hope so!
And in case anyone thinks I'm mean wrt Catty and his criminal record, I realised once the machine was off why it all started and it was because I kept coming across DS2 running funeral services for Catty, ("you've been a good and faithful friend, but now it's time ....") hours of the stuff. Utterly heart breaking. I couldn't bear it (yes yes, Catty is a stuffed toy, but.....!) so I inserted the prison stuff to make him wail in defence of Catty and keep him very much alive.
That child is exhausting!
WorriedRuby

Post by WorriedRuby »

Sherry my ds has read Michael Murpego's books, almost all of them. I have read some of them, very good and interesting stories.

playing games sounds good idea and it keep him busy during SIX WEEK summer holidays. and also will try rising stars. had a look on amazon there are practice questions and study guide, can't preview the books so don't know which level/book is right for 11 year old.
will have to go to book shop and have a look at the books.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Sorry didnt notice your son will be in Y7, the rising stars level 5 might be a bit unchallenging unless you feel he needs a bit more help or you need to reinforce what he has been taught. I find it quite good on helping a child write a story in a systematic way. The grammar section is a bit tiny if thats what he needs.
Impossible is Nothing.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now