Do children need their own laptop when starting secondary?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rubyhettybetty

Re: Do children need their own laptop when starting secondar

Post by rubyhettybetty »

We have 3 kids, and one ancient inherited desktop, and one ancient inherited laptop, plus my lovely laptop which they are supposedly banned from , as they have broken DVD drives/ keys come off the other 2. They fight like mad over the computers.

I think DH will need to go on a course to make sure he knows how to link them all up if necessary - and maybe invest in a wireless printer, good idea about the toner cartiridges!
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

You probably will have a far more resourceful child. I get e-mailed .... at home.... from one floor of the house....to me on another . Or even the other side of the wall....... hmmmm Fun being able to instant message them when I am at work!

.. actually they are learning some diplomacy skills - if they aren't sure how I am going to react to something then they put it in writing and I at least have time to think up an answer.....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for the belly laugh, hermanmunster. I needed that :lol: :lol: :lol:
zorro

Post by zorro »

My DS texts me for similar reasons! (Free unlimited texts too!) :roll: :roll:
um

Post by um »

We had one Pc as well as my own work laptop and dh's own work laptop - which obviously the children can't use.

This was fine until ds started secondary this September, when it seemed that almost all hwk had to be done via the computer - and then ds2 and dd needed the computer for their work - and their 'maths factor' sessions - and I needed it for things too - it was quite a nightmare so we gave in and bought another laptop.
This has now worked Ok, although occassionally the internet doesn't work on the laptop, leading to arguments again :roll:

With 5 children, I can actually foresee the situation in a few more years time that we'll need even more computers in the house just to keep up at school - not much fun when we're about to lose £300 a month child benefit :x
Maybelle

Post by Maybelle »

Amber wrote:
rubyhettybetty wrote:Any recommendations for Netbooks gratefully received!
... It is a Samsung and was given to the children as an unwanted Christmas present - it has been booted up about 6 times I think - very slow and doesn't do what they want it to.
So, my advice would be, avoid the Samsung, but if you get it, I am assured it would have worked better with Windows XP than the 7 it came with...
... And remember, Netbooks are made to access the net, rather than write things (hence the name). Don't get caught up; be strong - they don't actually need one of their very own.

The printer though - ah, the printer is another matter. The wise parent would allow access to the family computer, but say, ' I think it reasonable that you buy your own print cartridges'. If this seems an odd statement to new Year 7 parents, time will prove me right, believe me. :|
Actually, I can heartily recommend Samsung. We have one, but saved and bought for our DD too, when she started high school! Ours are the Samsung R519. Light, nicely spaced keys (even for my arthritic hands) and we sourced "nearly new" from one of those cash-converter type shops - :) Normally I wouldn't recommend 2nd hand laptops - but, here, you can see its in "as new" condition and can try it in the shop (and haggle on the price - a fraction of the 'new' item but still with a guarantee). Ours has Windows 7 too - Never thought I would say it - but it does make XP look like a dinosaur, in comparison. :shock:

Amber is quite right about Net-books though (too small for reams of homework) - and the printer, too - be warned. We print everything off on "quick-print" which is our printers most basic setting. We also invested in a memory stick - so work can be taken into school via that - if necessary.

If we ever won the Lotto - I would invest in an Apple - just to say I had one :lol: But needs must - and I do love my Samsung 8)
Inside of every mother is a school girl wondering what the *ell just happened???
colchestermum

Post by colchestermum »

Can u use netbooks for word etc? My DS is starting secondary school in September. We currently have one pc which used for DH's business as well as personal use for us both and our 3 DC. I can use my smartphone for internet etc (in fact I am right now!) But I am worried that there will not be enough hours in evening for everyone to use pc especially if we need to do business stuff one evening but do not want to pay out for netbook if it is not fit for purpose
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Have got "open office" (free and very good - can read all the ms office files) on the netbooks
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I have a netbook and I have the new 2010 Office system on there (you buy an external dvd drive - about £30/40, depending on how much you want to spend really).

You can purchase the latest full Word (Microsoft Office package) very cheaply. I purchased one for dd's computer for (off the top of my head £35 - oops, just checked the website, it's gone up :cry: it's now £38.95 including VAT and delivery). You are entitled to purchase one per student and it allows you a licence for two computers. All you need supply is the name of the school your dc attends.

Looky here: http://www.software4students.co.uk/

I love my netbook. It comes complete with wifi card and bluetooth already installed and does exactly what I want it to do!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now