The cost of secondary school

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Snowdrops

Re: The cost of secondary school

Post by Snowdrops »

Yeah, I used to do that at the bank too, until they started cashless catering one week before the end of summer term.

I definitely don't miss having to go down and queue up and carry it back I can tell you!
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

rubyhettybetty wrote:Yep, the organisation will be a killer for me, I'm like the Queen, I never carry cash!

The kids had better make sure their birthday/ Christmas cash is well hidden away...
You're not alone!
I have a friend who's mother phoned at the moment when she was scrabbling in pockets for change for the lunch money. A cheque arrived in the post a few days later with a note from her mother scolding her for not mentioning how hard up they were!

She phoned her mother immediately saying they weren't short of money - they were short of change!!
andyb

Post by andyb »

Just1-2go wrote:I have a friend who's mother phoned at the moment when she was scrabbling in pockets for change for the lunch money. A cheque arrived in the post a few days later with a note from her mother scolding her for not mentioning how hard up they were!

She phoned her mother immediately saying they weren't short of money - they were short of change!!
I think I would have kept quiet :wink:
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

cairo wrote:So I've been giving him £3 a day, thinking this should be about right. After a couple of weeks, I noticed that he was often coming home with more money than he'd actually started with! Little entrepreneur that he is, he confided in me that he'd actually been "investing" his lunch money in cheap sweets he bought at a shop on the way to school and then selling them on to his classmates for a profit!!!! :shock: :shock: So much for healthy eating in schools, eh? :roll:
Don't knock it - I'm rather hoping one of my four will go down the entrepreneurial route rather than university, if only to help bail out siblings and parents once we're all up to our eyes in debt with tuition fees! :lol: At the moment it looks like being the youngest, future businesswoman of the year, who once made an 800 % profit on a lollipop. :oops:
Marylou
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Marylou - she should be on 'The Apprentice' - she'd easily win with those profit margins!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

pheasantchick wrote:Marylou - she should be on 'The Apprentice' - she'd easily win with those profit margins!
:lol:

(Admittedly when I heard about it I wasn't sure who would be the most appropriate expert to contact - Supernanny or Sir Alan Sugar!)
Marylou
rachag

Post by rachag »

I have a cousin who started off like that - selling on stuff at school.
He has spent his adult life seemingly jetting about, living in Bermuda, Florida and Canada depending on time of year, including 'holiday' homes on lakes etc. Some sort of money / business role accessible mainly by computer.
You may be in for some great holidays!
(also accrued wife and children too, so no missing out on GC)
moved

Post by moved »

Mine take packed lunch and walk to school. If they want extras it comes from pocket money of £20 per month.

DS began in year 7 with selling sweets for a profit. I felt uncomfortable with this but DH approved. Several of them were doing the same thing. Then a letter came home from school stating that selling on school property was not allowed unless it was for a prearranged charity event.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now