CAT scores....year 7

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Re: CAT scores....year 7

Post by mystery »

UJB, why did you think they were poor results? Does the school send you some info that helps you place your child in a particular centile of the population as a whole? If not, it's not worth sending you the scores.

I too was interested in blurb saying that they measure developed abilities.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

mystery wrote:UJB, why did you think they were poor results? Does the school send you some info that helps you place your child in a particular centile of the population as a whole? If not, it's not worth sending you the scores.

I too was interested in blurb saying that they measure developed abilities.
No info, just the scores and what the different tests were focused on. Then a statement saying a score of whatever it was puts your child in the top 1% in the country " we hope you find this information interesting"

I have no idea what centile she is on, her mean score is 11 marks over `the average child`. She did particularly badly in one test.

Essentially I think I need to stop worrying. Because she got in on appeal having failed the Kent test by a point, I`m paranoid she`s going to struggle at GS.

She is very happy there, she is getting good grades in her classwork....therefore I am going to cease worrying :oops: and have some faith in her ( which she more than deserves).
doodles

Post by doodles »

I'm afraid that I'm not brilliant at these CAT scores - they are all a bit new to me - but if your DD is at GS, is doing well in class and has settled well I would just enjoy and keep an eye. Surely for Yr7 they are just a snapshot of a day this term when to be honest everybody's emotions have been up in the air from changing schools, new friends etc etc.

I may be a million miles off the mark and somebody please tell me if I am so that I can start worrying about my DS but I have decided that this term and next as long as he doesn't appear to be struggling I am not going to worry too much as he has had so much change to deal with already.......

Please tell me if I am in LaLa Land with this approach :?
Complete Novice

Post by Complete Novice »

From memory, I think that if your DD has an aggregate score of 11 points above average (which would be 111), she is roughly in the top 20% of the population which is very respectable profile for a Kent grammar school. It sounds like she is doing really well.

CN
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Complete Novice wrote:From memory, I think that if your DD has an aggregate score of 11 points above average (which would be 111), she is roughly in the top 20% of the population which is very respectable profile for a Kent grammar school. It sounds like she is doing really well.

CN
Thank you.

Having moved here from a none selective area I`m not particularly good at understanding how it all works. :oops:
Its very complicated to and outsider :shock: :wink:
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

doodles wrote:I'm afraid that I'm not brilliant at these CAT scores - they are all a bit new to me - but if your DD is at GS, is doing well in class and has settled well I would just enjoy and keep an eye. Surely for Yr7 they are just a snapshot of a day this term when to be honest everybody's emotions have been up in the air from changing schools, new friends etc etc.

I may be a million miles off the mark and somebody please tell me if I am so that I can start worrying about my DS but I have decided that this term and next as long as he doesn't appear to be struggling I am not going to worry too much as he has had so much change to deal with already.......

Please tell me if I am in LaLa Land with this approach :?
Doodles I think it is a very sensible approach....and I have stolen it and adopted it myself :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now