Homework not marked

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Milla

Re: Homework not marked

Post by Milla »

I'd say totally unforgivable and very rude, if not negligent. And bullying!
She has set the homework and it should be a two way process with her, the teacher, giving the input in response to the homework. 2 marked assessments is too infrequent / scant for the child to know she is on the right track. I am a great believer in carrot / encouragement as an approach and not enforcing university ideas (and, hey, we still got our university stuff marked, with a plethora of comment) on a year 7.
Play it carefully, though, maybe as DumbMum, needing the policy explained. I'd start with the teacher in question, or a note in the planner saying you're confused as to when you're going to get the bits of homework back etc. Certainly at my children's schools, the heads of year are great and very keen on keeping the great ship GS sailing in a straight line. Let us know how you get on. But don't let her get away with it. Relevant feedback is vital and expecting a nurturing, encouraging attitude towards and enjoyment of learning not an unreasonable expectation.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Milla wrote:Play it carefully, though, maybe as DumbMum, needing the policy explained. I'd start with the teacher in question, or a note in the planner saying you're confused as to when you're going to get the bits of homework back etc. Certainly at my children's schools, the heads of year are great and very keen on keeping the great ship GS sailing in a straight line. Let us know how you get on. But don't let her get away with it. Relevant feedback is vital and expecting a nurturing, encouraging attitude towards and enjoyment of learning not an unreasonable expectation.
thanks milla - i will act dumb rather than confrontational - i cant actually get a note to the teacher - although i can email her - what do you think? or go stright to head of year?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

My advice, in answer to your last question would be that you should always try to iron out any problems with the actual teacher first. So, in my opinion, make contact with this particular teacher first and ask questions in a 'trying to understand' manner. Then go higher if you feel that you haven't received an acceptable response. It really does cause ill-feeling if a teacher is bypassed and doesn't even know that there is a problem.

Obviously, completely ignore my advice if you know that she's not the 'approaching' kind!!
mystery

Post by mystery »

If you can e-mail her, I would do it that way. Keep it short and very sweet as e-mails can be so easily misinterpreted, and maybe at the end ask if e-mail is her preferred method of parent communication or if there is some other way you should do it instead? If you can say something that sounds positive and flattering too, without sounding false, that would be good. Try to avoid making it sound as though your daughter comes home complaining about this teacher to you, more that she's keen on these subjects, enjoys the lessons, and wants to derive as much benefit as possible from the homework too.

We have had successful e-mail contact in the past with secondary school teachers, usually in response to a question along the lines of "what can we do at home to help" and we've sometimes received useful topics to discuss over the dinner table etc. Equally I've had some terrible experiences recently with primary school teachers. Be your charming self, but don't get incensed if you get nowhere. Have a Plan B. And help your daughter maintain faith in other aspects of this teacher - there must be some good ones you can think of!!
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

mystery wrote:If you can e-mail her, I would do it that way. Keep it short and very sweet as e-mails can be so easily misinterpreted, and maybe at the end ask if e-mail is her preferred method of parent communication or if there is some other way you should do it instead? If you can say something that sounds positive and flattering too, without sounding false, that would be good. Try to avoid making it sound as though your daughter comes home complaining about this teacher to you, more that she's keen on these subjects, enjoys the lessons, and wants to derive as much benefit as possible from the homework too.
Thanks - this is how i will approch it - and my dd was only saying last night what a shame itall is as she really like these subjects, so i will certainly put that in without the - "what a shame" bit :lol:

Thanks guys for all your input - will keep you posted :)
mystery

Post by mystery »

Did you make contact with the teacher on this one, or still safely biding your time?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now