12+

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tami

12+

Post by tami »

without trying to sound stupid but what is the 12+ which areas have the 12+ and what type of exams are involved?
Tami
waddle

12+

Post by waddle »

The 12+ is another opportunity for children to try for grammar school place, during Year 7. It is not publicised much and seems to be a route that parents/children take if they have narrowly failed the 11+ or have come on in leaps and bounds since the 11+ exam date. There are lots of links throughout this website from parents who know more about it than me, many of whom were unsuccessful with 11+ appeals.

The main disadvantage is that successful children face another school change soon after their first move into secondary education, however the grammar schools seem well prepared for this upheaval and no doubt help the children settle as easily as possible.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Tami

The 12+ is certainly offered in Bucks as an established "Late Transfer" process. My understanding is that most 11+ areas will offer some form of late-entry testing if you move in to the area after the normal 11+ testing procedure. However, in Bucks you cannot be sure of a place, as no places are reserved at GS for children beyond the 11+. I think most GS across the country would be the same.

The exams will vary according to area and the school admission process.

Sally-Anne