Do children need their own laptop when starting secondary?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rubyhettybetty

Do children need their own laptop when starting secondary?

Post by rubyhettybetty »

Just wondered, we could do with an extra one at home to stop the fights, but didn't know if it is 100% necessary for school?
hermanmunster

Re: Do children need their own laptop when starting secondar

Post by hermanmunster »

I have always found that plenty of computers (laptops and desktops) help with avoiding traffic jams... I tend to end up with the castoffs which I upgrade with more memory :wink: . They don't NEED a laptop but access to their own computer is handy.
I made a booboo with DD though - I bought her a new laptop earlier this year only to find that the school was providing netbooks to all the girls in her year for £13 a month, and seeing as most of the work she does can be done on the this - she really did not need the new laptop ( :evil: hasn't let me get my hands on it yet though...)

edit: would a netbook help?
andyb

Post by andyb »

DS1 (Y8) needs access to computer for 1 or 2 pieces of work per evening for around 1-1 1/2 hours total. He uses the desktop set up in living room so a) I know he is doing hw and not playing games b) someone is on hand if he gets stuck or wants to discuss ideas. It only becomes an issue if DS2 is set computer work too but it's not a big enough problem for us to get a second pc.
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

Any recommendations for Netbooks gratefully received!
Amber

Post by Amber »

rubyhettybetty wrote:Any recommendations for Netbooks gratefully received!
If you lived near me I would happily sell you our Netbook at a very competitive price because it is total rubbish! (But that wouldn't be very nice of me I suppose).
It is a Samsung and was given to the children as an unwanted Christmas present - it has been booted up about 6 times I think - very slow and doesn't do what they want it to.
So, my advice would be, avoid the Samsung, but if you get it, I am assured it would have worked better with Windows XP than the 7 it came with.
You might know that my allegiance lies in an Appleward direction, and though everyone tells me how much more expensive they are, I do disagree because you don't have to buy all the extra bits and pieces like antivirus software and groovy photo editing stuff because it comes as standard. And they last a lot longer than their rivals. And it is myth that you can't interface them with Microsoft stuff ( I do it all the time for work).

More to the point, having a daughter in Year 10 now I would say it is a categoric 'no' to the original question: all they need is access to a computer upon which they can search the internet, make powerpoints and pretty documents. It does not have to be their very own piece of kit. And remember, Netbooks are made to access the net, rather than write things (hence the name). Don't get caught up; be strong - they don't actually need one of their very own.

The printer though - ah, the printer is another matter. The wise parent would allow access to the family computer, but say, ' I think it reasonable that you buy your own print cartridges'. If this seems an odd statement to new Year 7 parents, time will prove me right, believe me. :|
mad?

Post by mad? »

Amber wrote:
rubyhettybetty wrote: The printer though - ah, the printer is another matter. The wise parent would allow access to the family computer, but say, ' I think it reasonable that you buy your own print cartridges'. If this seems an odd statement to new Year 7 parents, time will prove me right, believe me. :|
:lol: :lol:
mad?
Floss

Post by Floss »

We have a desktop computer and also an iPad both of which my daughter can use for school
Bemused

Post by Bemused »

I would actually highly recommend Samsung netbooks - we have had one for a while (having got one recommended as a Which? best buy) and it's great. Very portable, charge lasts a long time, boots up quickly, works well with free OpenOffice software (compatible with MS Office) - would add that mine is Windows XP, so wouldn't know about how it works with Windows 7. I know everyone raves about Apple (and I am sorely tempted too), but if you are choosing between a netbook or an Apple laptop, the cost advantage is hugely in favour of a netbook, around £300, against around £850 for the cheapest Apple. Which? are currently recommending the Samsung N220 and NB30.

As for whether you need an extra computer in the first place, just for DS in year 7, that's what we are trying to work out ourselves...
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Ooh, I feel bad now for not getting my DS his own laptop/i.pad/netbbook! I've got him a USB stick and he can do his homework at the library, at school before the start of the day, lunchtime, breaktime etc, at his friend's house, granparents' house or even at home if he wanted to (hasten to add that he only wants to when he is told to :!: ) He can save any work onto his USB stick and then print it off at the local library if he wants to save mummy's printer paper, as it is free to print homework off at the library.

The day will come, though when it will be a (very) good idea to sort him out with one, particularly when DS2 goes up to secondary school and they both need to use the computer at the same time. Question is, with so many choices, what to choose? Hmmm.........
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Frustrated - don't feel bad about it !

You probably will have a far more resourceful child. I get e-mailed .... at home.... from one floor of the house....to me on another . Or even the other side of the wall....... hmmmm :roll: Fun being able to instant message them when I am at work!

.. actually they are learning some diplomacy skills - if they aren't sure how I am going to react to something then they put it in writing and I at least have time to think up an answer.....