Silly question regarding starting secondary schools

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: Silly question regarding starting secondary schools

Post by Guest55 »

xyzzy - your comment about biros is not at all helpful. It is perfectly possible to write neatly with a good ball-point pen.

Many schools encourage pupils to get memory sticks from them because
a) They are cheaper because they are bought in bulk
b) They are reliable because they are a decent make - I have seen cheap one fall apart when removed from a PC

Best suggestion on here is the large plastic zip-up wallets - perfect for keeping book and worksheets together - with a sticky label on the front it is quick to pack a bag too!
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Guest55 wrote:xyzzy - your comment about biros is not at all helpful. It is perfectly possible to write neatly with a good ball-point pen.
Have to say that my initial reaction was more or less identical to xyzzy's but we have since been out and bought several good quality 'fine line' type pens which seem to write quite nicely.

Also two pencil cases, a bright pink geometry set, a GCSE suitable calculator (I'm certain it will be lost or broken before 2016!), a selection of plastic zippy wallets, and an array of tiny 'tupperware' pots for transporting microscopic quantities of Food Tech ingredients.

I think we're all kitted out now - apart from shoes and possibly hair things (my teenage neighbours are trying to wean DD off her addiction to black velvet scrunchies - apparently they are 'not worn' at secondary school :lol: )
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Rymans have a 3-for2 offer on student stuff at the moment. I'm not getting obsessed with paper (I think Smiths is expensive) but I noticed that their paper seems cheaper than other places... .

With WH Smiths, they're giving out 20 vouchers so I'd advise, get something small, get the voucher and then buy your equipment.

I've still got to get a fountain pen - the choice seems daunting. Do I get something better quality, or something cheaper in case he looses it, breaks it, or doens't use it?

I never used to be interested in pens, paper, plastic wallers, hole punches etc, but now I find the array of products fascinating.
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

As for the fountain pen; for a child it should be durable, easy to use and hold.

One thing to remember is that it is highly likely that they will say: "I lost my pen".So whilst they're still young, a cheaper pen may be best because you will have to replace it at least once. :lol:

Pilot have a V Pen Fountain Pen that is around 3.50 and is of good quality.
;D
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Pheasant Chick - I've pm'd you.

Twinkle
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I did have a good look at the Parker pens etc, but in the end bought a cheapie because I remember going through a few due to pressing too hard and snapping the nib. The array is huge! I told DD she could also choose a new pencil case , pencils etc and she came back with an armful which would have cost 30 pounds !

Talking about things not acceptable at Secondary...DS has announced that he will be laughed at if he refers to me as " Mummy" so is now calling me Mum, which sounds really alien!
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

If you haven't bought pens/ink yet then then get black ones. When DC come to do public exams they will be expected to write in black ink so its better to get into the habit from the beginning.
doodles

Post by doodles »

We are great plastic wallet fans and I love sticky back plastic but that's a whole different thread.

Lamy pens are great for children and are really durable DS1 had his all the way through from Yr 3 to half way through Yr 7 and then he dropped it on the nib! He chose exactly the same again because it is comfortable to write with - I originally bought it because it was one of the few I found for a left hander.
Kesteven

Post by Kesteven »

I just found out last week that DS needs a white lab coat for science classes. The lady in the uniform shop was very practical and recommended that I buy him a huge one (he's entering Year 7) that can last him throughout his secondary education!

Other less usual uniform items which were required included astro-turf hockey trainers, white non marking gym shoes, moulded mouthguard for rugby and two padlocks (for personal and games lockers).
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

We found that the mouldable mouthguards for rugby (or in our case hockey) were significantly cheaper from a sports shop like JJB Sports than from the official school supplier. And they were the same ones!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now