Year 7 - Homework Help

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
push-pull-mum

Re: Year 7 - Homework Help

Post by push-pull-mum »

neurotic kent mum wrote:Just to add to push pull mum - please don't worry (or indeed expect more) my dd in a ss grammar and has had virtually no homework- this applies for the whole of year 7 as she is now entering year 8. To her shock she had 5 pieces of hw this week - decorating pages to show she was now in year 8.
Currently following the progress of several Year 7s connected with family and friends -

1) Independant school - first homework came home on Friday - book covering - reading first 10 pages of a school reading book - exercise books and text books coming home (for covering by parents - not even a suggestion that it is 'homework' for the children)
2) Grammar school - first homework didn't appear until Monday - Maths only - text book and exercise book both came home (uncovered.)
3) DD's comp - Food Tech and Art and homework on Friday - time consuming fiddly things requiring a lot of online time and nothing to be handed in for a fortnight. No exercise books or text books seen.
4) 'Leafy' Comp (where I am told 'everyone has a double barrelled name and a pony' :? ) - Monday only - design a bookmark - to be handed in in 2 weeks. Very swish exercise books come home with the school logo on (mostly empty.)
4) Shiny new Academy - 5 pieces of homework including Maths and English given between Wednesday and Friday all to be handed in on Monday morning. Class work brought home every day (no lockers) and complicated system of awards and sanctions in place for pupils who bring/fail to bring the necessary books to each class.

All very interesting for an anxious parent like myself to fret over - but in the long term, I suspect, completely irrelevant.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

PPM - fascinating difference between the schools!

To add to the list:
Super selective - Lots of book covering, four(?) bits of homework, with various deadlines, plus history essay to be handed in in two weeks, school books all coming home

Has anyone had to design any posters yet?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

At my DS grammar....creations of various terrains /weather on geography book & cover.
Learn some spanish words
Write out some chinese words 10 times .( and presumably learn).

Plus homework from me..........learn to add up food bought in refectory , Sainsburys and sweet booth and adjust accordingly to daily limit. :roll:
dottie1974

Post by dottie1974 »

pheasantchick wrote:
Has anyone had to design any posters yet?
Yes we (well dd!) has had to design a poster for science about forces! :D She enjoyed it though!

Dottie
mystery

Post by mystery »

Interesting contrasts; all confirms my desire to have a school that sends the classwork books home but does not set any homework other than some short things that help retention of classwork, and some extremely well thought out longer pieces from time to time.
Tree

Post by Tree »

will just mention two homework topics to make my blood run cold

wordsearch
mood board
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Tree wrote:will just mention two homework topics to make my blood run cold

wordsearch
mood board
What's a mood board?

DD always gets her 7 year old brother to do wordsearches for her. She claims to be allergic.
Tree

Post by Tree »

I have absolutley no idea what it's for but basically you have to stick a load of pictures on a bit of cardboard like a collage to inspire you over a peice of work, this involves the following :

Chavteen - dad i need you to do a moodboard for me

Me - what's a moodboard

Chavteen - oh god you are so unhelpful it for my hair and beauty project, you just don't care about hair and beauty do you

Me - ummm well it's eerh really, ok what do you need

Chavteen - some pictures of exploding volcanoes, oh it's ok I've got these (sound of tearing paper)

Nerd boy - DAD she's just ripped up my favourite volcano book.

Me - Where's the Gin gone
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Thanks, Tree! Yes, I've encountered those when 'teen-sitting.' They just called them collages though and I don't think they were meant to 'inspire' anything else.
A while ago I had to assist in the making of a soup collage and ended up with a cupboard full of unlabelled tins.
mystery

Post by mystery »

:lol: Great stuff. Teachers do have a good sense of humour when it comes to setting homework . I used to love setting nosey homeworks.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now