Does your child bring their classwork home?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Does your child bring their classwork home?

Post by mystery »

Does your child bring their classwork home? I'm intrigued by this one. At some schools they do, at others they don't.

I don't understand the latter approach as I can't see how you can do effective homework, revision etc etc without having your classwork to glance at whilst at home.

It would be interesting to hear your experiences, along with what type of school it is.
bumblebee

Re: Does your child bring their classwork home?

Post by bumblebee »

My DS (grammar yr 8) keeps most of his exercise books at home and only takes the ones he needs for the day so yes he does have his class work to refer to. I think there are other some things that never come home but I dont think they are things that would be needed for homework. I see far more of his work than I ever did at primary school where you could only see their books on open evenings.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Your experience is what I am hoping for. Is this other people's experience?
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

mystery wrote:Your experience is what I am hoping for. Is this other people's experience?
:oops: Ooh - this thread is my fault - sorry! Yes - DD's school (Comp.) have said school exercise books shouldn't be brought home - most homework is set in the form of 2 week mini projects which are independently researched and then handed in online or on A4 paper in a document wallet - therefore no need to bring exercise books home.

Apparently when they are brought home they are seldom seen again.

Please do not read any of my posts if you are currently stressing about 11+ 2011. It's a different world in the Comp.

DD assures me it will get better when they set/stream them next month.

It would need to - there was a note on her homework task reminding her of the importance of putting a full stop at the end of every sentence!! [insert heart broken mother sobbing emoticon here]
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

bumblebee wrote:My DS (grammar yr 8) keeps most of his exercise books at home and only takes the ones he needs for the day so yes he does have his class work to refer to. I think there are other some things that never come home but I dont think they are things that would be needed for homework. I see far more of his work than I ever did at primary school where you could only see their books on open evenings.
+1. In fact I don't think there's anywhere that DS could keep his books at school. :lol:
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

i meant to type year eight, not year 8) dunno how i did that!
mystery

Post by mystery »

PPP - do you think the top sets will be allowed to take their classwork home?!!

I think this is a question to add to that big list of questions to ask when looking at schools. I think I'll shoot myself if I end up with another school where I don't have a clue what's going on ........ it started at age 2.5.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Surely when it comes to revision time-if not before- they will have to be allowed to take their work home? :roll:
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

mystery wrote:PPP - do you think the top sets will be allowed to take their classwork home?!!

I think this is a question to add to that big list of questions to ask when looking at schools. I think I'll shoot myself if I end up with another school where I don't have a clue what's going on ........ it started at age 2.5.
I'm waiting and seeing for now. There do seem to be very different rules for different sets. In a school where only 50% pass the requisite GCSEs it has to be that way or else it turns into a sink school.
Parents do get a break down every month of what work the pupil has done and what mark it got - you just don't get to see the actual books.
ourmaminhavana wrote:Surely when it comes to revision time-if not before- they will have to be allowed to take their work home? :roll:
Again - waiting and seeing. My friends' children have done precious few exams in Years 7 and 8.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Mystery...DS1 is bringing home his books, only because his locker is quite small and so has to....I'd rather he didn't because he looked distinctly hunched yest. ( although that might have been because he was annoying me and I told him he had to sit on a small stool rather then the sofa).

The others who are still at primary only bring home at end of term when I think there is a Grand Clear Out of the classroom.I can't understand half of their work so usually only make it to page 3...although this year their writing was marked with a NC level at the bottom of each page which was useful.

Don't get me started on the drawings and huge junk models which I have to bring home.Everyone has a small one made out of 2 loo rolls...my children seem to make theirs using the storage box and I usually have to bring my car to school just to get them home.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now